Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Many questions from a first time axolotl owner!

Misterbluesky

Reaction score
Greetings! I've been a pet owner all my life, but this is my first time owning an axolotl. Like with any pet, I did research before buying my new friend - How to set up the tank, what they eat, etc. but I didn't expect to be such a worry-wart once I'd gotten it home! I've lurked over these forums since I got it, and have learned a lot more than my initial research taught me, but I decided to register to get more in-depth information from the helpful people here at Caudata.org.

I guess what I'm really looking for here is a little advice and a lot of reassurance.

Attached, are pictures of my new 'lotl and a picture of it's current tank set-up.

A little background information: I've had my 'lotl for 11 days now. When I got it, it was around 2 inches long, and it is now somewhere around 3 inches. I purchased a five gallon tank because I underestimated the size of my desk, but plan on moving the lotl into a 10 gallon once it grows larger. It eats ravenously and is very alert and active. The breeder had begun feeding them bloodworms when I purchased it, and the 'lotl ate them initially, but soon became uninterested in the thawed out food so I moved on to earthworms/redworms that I found in the yard.

Tank: The initial tank set-up had a sand substrate, a plastic rock cave & fake plant, various rocks, and a filter. I have since added a piece of store-bought drift wood (which I soaked before adding), a suction-cup betta leaf rest, four live plants, a java moss ball, and an airstone. The sand seems to flow right out the other side of his gills if he gets a little in his mouth, and I'm very happy with this, as I have read all about the dangers of impaction.

I do not, as of yet, have tank readings for you all, but will purchase a test kit as soon as I have the funds to do so (sometime within the next 10 days). Do know, however, that I dechlorinate the water and keep the water as cool as I can (the thermometer strip I have doesn't go below 22 C, and the reading doesn't even register on it, so I believe it to be somewhere below that.) I have also read on the benefits of tannins and live plants, and hope that the tank will be suitable with small water changes until I can purchase the test kit.

To buy list:
10 gallon tank, when needed
Test kit for PH, ammonia, etc.
Turkey baster
Airstone valve
Ghost shrimp?
Guppies?
Small container for future worm farm?

Concerns:

1. My pump output is now set at a trickle, but my axolotl seems to love both the flow of the filter intake (it lays directly beneath it) and the outflow of the airstone (which I've recently crimped off to restrict airflow.) I cannot tell if he truly enjoys riding the airstone current, or if the bubbles stress him out, which is why I've since turned it down. Is it normal for an axolotl to enjoy current? I've read that they enjoy still waters.
  2. I have also read that axolotls hate bright light, but my lotl seems to enjoy hanging out in the sunlight which comes from the window. I try to place the curtains in a way that will minimize sunlight on the tank, but still provide a little indirect light for the plants.
  3. My driftwood has recently (yesterday) developed what I believe to be a fungus. I've read that this wood fungus is harmless to fish, and feeds off the nutrients in the wood. The axolotl shows no signs of fungus. Is he/she truly safe from this wood fungus?
  4. Will ghost shrimp eat the wood fungus and also be suitable tankmates for my axolotl? I know that the shrimp could become possible prey for the 'lotl and would not mind providing them as snacks, as long as my axolotl's safety is not jeopardized by the shrimp. Will they go after the axolotl's gills like fish do?
  5. I have several worms which I've been keeping in a jar with moist toilet paper. The worms have actually been ingesting and expelling the toiletpaper, which was a concern for me. Am I right in assuming that a 'lotl should not ingest toiletpaper? I've been squeezing it out of the worms before feeding to make sure he doesn't eat the stuff.
  6. How often should I feed my juvenile axolotl? I've read many mixed messages on this, from 2-3 times a day, to every 2-3 days. I've been feeding it daily, in the evening, and sometimes give it a snack in the morning if it seems particularly hungry.
  7. I'm interested in adding other live foods to his/her diet as he/she grows. I have thought about starting a small guppy colony. Will guppies peck at the gills, or are they very docile? I also wonder if slugs are too slimey for a 'lotl to swallow. Can pillbugs and other beetles be ingested, or are the shells too hard (like mealworms)? Is there a danger of insects like beetles biting/harming the 'lotl?
  8. What is the best way to feed an axolotl? It will not come to the water's surface to feed. I have been carefully aiming and dropping the worm bits into the water in hopes that they will land somewhere near it's head and then attract it's attention, but often times the 'lotl is more interested in staring at me and swimming against the glass than eating the worm squirming under it's tail. I wish I had a very long pair of tweezers, to be honest.

Attachments

• lotl size.jpg
    lotl size.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2,284
  • lotl face.jpg
    lotl face.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 838
  • lotl tank.jpg
    lotl tank.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:

rdoyle225

Reaction score
for the worms you can but dirt in there for the worms to eat. paper would should not hurt the axolotl if it is in the worm.

Misterbluesky

Reaction score
I know I can add dirt, but wanted to keep the worms as clean as possible for low maintenance, so I don't have to dig around in the jar. This way I can just pluck one out, cut it, and feed it to the 'lotl.

If I get around to making a small worm farm, I will definitely use dirt, but these worms are just there so I don't have to go out searching at night for a few days.

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't use toilet paper, or any bleached paper product. If you're keen on not using dirt, use coco fiber or newspaper with soy-based ink.

Misterbluesky

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't use toilet paper, or any bleached paper product. If you're keen on not using dirt, use coco fiber or newspaper with soy-based ink.
I didn't even think about it having been bleached, to be honest. How do you know if the newspaper has soy-based ink?

rdoyle225

Reaction score
coco will kill worms. I did this before. I raised worms for my pacman frog

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My worm farm is almost entirely coco fiber. It's doing just fine.

You can call the newspaper, or many times it's printed somewhere if the ink is soy-based.

auntiejude

Reaction score
In answer to some of your questions:
1. Axolotls seem to like bubble surfing (see my avatar) and the gentle flow of a pump inlet. What they don't like is a constant strong current throughout the tank.
2. Each axolotl has their own preference for light - one of mine likes to watch the telly, one doesn't really like the subtle glow of my tank lightinh, one will follow a torch against the glass. You axie will let you know what it likes.
3. I wouldn't risk mouldy driftwood - try taking it out, cleaning it and boiling it.
4. The best tank-mate for an axolotl is another axolotl - anythig else will usually end up attacking the axie or being eaten itself. Shrimp are a possibility.
5. The earth inside a worm will not hurt an axie - move your worms into an earth container, if you want to 'starve' the worms for a few hours so they can empty their digestive systems just put then in an empty container for a few hours before feeding.
6. You can feed your axie as often as you want, it's the quantity that really matters. Mine are 7" and get 1 or 2 worms a day. If your axie is only 3" he will want feeding every day. you can cut down to every other day when he is bigger, or contine once a day but less.
7. Chitinous exoskeletons will not agree with your axie - avoid hard carapaced beetles. Mealworms can be fed once your axie is a bit bigger, along with guppies, but guppes may try and nibble an axie's gills. Earthworms are best - make them your staple with occasional treats.
8. I feed my axies by hand - hand in the tank is not a problem. An axie's bite doesn't hurt, and you can train them to come to the surface for feeding if you gradually persuade them by getting them to follow a worm up.

A worm farm is a great idea - worms are easy to keep and raise. I also have a brineshrimp tank - my axies love to chase them!

Misterbluesky

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the answers everyone!

I don't think it's mouldy, but rather a fungus. It looks just like this picture:
(Not mine, found through google. I cannot get a clear picture of my own tank.)
Praecox%20rainbow%20prob..JPG

It's growing on a store-bought "aquarium safe" piece of commercially sold mopani.
This post eased my mind a little about it. The only reason I haven't taken it out and boiled it is because I have several plants tied to it right now, and I believe it will return regardless of any cleaning I do to it, as several sources have described it to do. I am still watching it like a hawk.

I do plan on using earthworms as a staple, but I would also like to investigate other snack items so that my 'lotl will have variety in its diet. I'll look into finding a soy-based newspaper locally, and also read up on the how-to's for worm, guppy, and shrimp farming- both brine and ghost varieties. I do not mind if the guppies and shrimp are eaten, but I don't want my axolotl to be injured by his potential snack. I guess that any uneaten live-food will be removed to prevent gill-nipping. Its good to know to stay away from beetles, and I don't particularly like handling mealworms (but maybe he'll get a few if I use tweezers).

It's very important that I find a sustainable food item for the colder months, since it freezes over here. If I can grow the 'lotl's food indoors, not only will I be saving money, but I'll also be self-sufficient and not have to rely on transportation (I do not currently drive) or store stock.

Quentari

Reaction score
1. I've had axies that LOVE the air bubbles from the air stone, and other users have similar axies. I think it's just a quirk :)

2. I'd also put that down to a quirk. Some axolotl's forget their basic "instinct" I think. If it's seeking out the light I can't see any harm, so long as it has places to hide from the light.

3. Everything I've researched suggests shrimp are 100% safe tank mates for axolotl's, so long as you don't mind them being eaten.

4. I have no idea about that, sorry.

5. At least once a day. If it's about as wide as it's head you're doing okay.

6. About the guppies, I brought a few and stuck them in a temporary tank till they were safe for the axies. Less than a week later and they now have pretty substrate, a heater, ornaments and a filter as well as more vigorous water changes and testing. The little suckers grow on you. Apparently though they aren't very big on nipping, you would have to keep an eye but about 90% of the time they won't bite the axies.

7. I got a long tweezer set from a $2 junk store. I recommend you do the same :)

Misterbluesky

Reaction score

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

I've moved my axie into a 10 gallon now, which gives it a lot more room to move around. (The 5 gallon it was previously in went to the guppies.) It's also no longer in front of the window, so it's keeping cooler and is a lot less harsh with the natural light. The bubbler is with the guppies at the moment, but I plan to get the axolotl its own bubbler again soon, since it seemed to like playing in the bubbles so much.

It's still eating well (strictly earthworms), and seems to be eating more the bigger it gets. The guppies I bought have been going through some health issues (two died promptly after giving birth, from a bacterial infection), so I am waiting a month or two and monitoring them closely until I'm sure they're safe to use as food. I haven't bothered to buy any shrimp yet, but perhaps later.

The fungus on the driftwood doesn't seem to affect the axolotl at all, and seems to die back and grow back now and again, just like the sources said it would. I'm not too worried about it.

I didn't know long tweezers existed, but I'll certainly be on the look out for some! Right now I'm just reaching my arm in, and making sure to wash well after. (Bit of a germophobe, and I've heard amphibians and reptiles carry salmonella.)

The only things I'm worried about right now are keeping the temperature at the correct level consistently (I'm floating ice bottles to keep it cool enough, since it's normally in the "iffy" range without), and making sure the water is healthy for it. I really had no idea what it meant to "cycle a tank" before getting this 'lotl, so this is a new experience for me.
:sick:

pondweed

Reaction score
Don't forget to wash your hands WITHOUT soap and rinse them thoroughly before putting them in your tank. Chemicals from out hygiene products don't do amphibians, with their permeable skins, much good.

( Can relate to the germophobe thing though. It is one of my greatest paradoxes that I can be irrationally afraid of getting sick - obsessional about it - yet love handling animals, and being on farms. And aren't afraid of picking up wild birds caught in netting or down the chimney so long as I can scrub my hands afterwards. When I get my 'Lotls, I'm going to have to be SERIOUSLY careful for the poor mites. )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!