Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First time Pixie owner - How Important is humidity?

SlurmsMackenzie

Reaction score
I've had my Pixie for about a month now, and he's my first foray into the world of frog ownership. Things seem to be going well! He's eating enthusiastically, I've got his terrarium at a consistent 80 degrees, and he seems to enjoy burrowing around the hiding places I've set up for him.

My question though, is how important is it for me to keep up with the humidity of his terrarium? As of right now, I'm spraying it with a squirt bottle pretty thoroughly 2 times a day. His primary heat source is a lamp though, and I worry that it dries things out really quick. I know most people recommend a heating pad, but I tried that and I'm getting a more consistent temperature with the lamp .I will admit the heating pad was a cheapo Petsmart model, though.

Should I look into an actual humidifier for his terrarium, or do you think the squirt bottle is doing a decent enough job?

maxygus

Reaction score
Hey new time pixie owner! I recently acquired one myself. From my limited experience though, I can offer what I've learned about maintaining the humidity. I had been spraying the tank and been able to keep up with the humidity, roughly around 80% each day. Thing is, I found him beginning to estevate deep down in the substrate. Turns out the surface humidity was good but his burrowing substrate was not. So I've amended the process by turning over the moss layer and and thoroughly misting the below jungle mix of Cyprus mulch and coco fiber. This has helped maintain humidity levels and I still mist the top layer of moss substrate.

Hope this helps and good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!