Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens larvae just transformed

David339

Reaction score
I have one lil guy who has been out of the water for 2 days. His gills are gone, he is still green in color though. How soon can I put him in with my other red efts that were his size last year? I read he will go about a week without eating now? This is my first experience with the larvae and I got him to transformation.

David339

Reaction score
How much smaller is he? WHat are the other ones eating?

The new one is about 1/8 inch wide by an inch long. My other 4 small ones were this size last fall, now they are about 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide by 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I have others that are 3-4 inches long kept separately. Currently my new eft is kept in a small container on his own. They are eating spring tails and fruit flies.

David339

Reaction score
The just transformed one is aprox. 1/8 inch wide by 1 inch long, the other I have are about twice this size. 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide. The bigger ones are eating springtails and fruit flies. Currently I have the lil guy in a very small container 4 inch wide by 6 inch long and 3 inch tall.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking if they're eating food so tiny they would'nt eat another tank mate that size...but then if they do I don't want to be the one who said it was OK!

David339

Reaction score
I'm thinking if they're eating food so tiny they would'nt eat another tank mate that size...but then if they do I don't want to be the one who said it was OK!

I had the other red efts last year this size and they were with 3 inch long efts and they didn't eat the little guys. They're mouths are a lot smaller than you think based on the earthworms my 3 inch efts would eat/ not eat. I'm going to put him in with the other lil guys tonight.

David339

Reaction score
They are definitely fine together. I didn't know if I had to wait before taking him out of that 1/16 inch of water I had him in. He was green not the normal orange/red color of an eft. He's starting to change color now though. My first run with the larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!