The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 16th May 2002   #1
roseprince

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I just got a few newt from singapore local aquarium, it has the average length of abt 100mm, back colour is black, abdoman is redish orange with few black spots. The salesman told me that it belongs to the generus Trithoides .but I couldn't found any of the reference of this latin name from the web. Could someone help me to variefy whether they gave me the wrong name or it does exist. If it does exist, which family does it belongs to? and what are the probab species name?and how to keep it?thanks

Old 16th May 2002   #2
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

99% likely to be Chinese firebellies, Cynops orientalis, of the family Salamandridae. There's a care sheet for these at www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/

Just plug "Cynops orientalis" into the search and you'll find it.

Old 16th May 2002   #3
aaron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is the tail paddle-shaped?

~Aaron

Old 17th May 2002   #4
kai

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd guess at orientalis, too. You'll have a hard time to provide them low enough temperatures in Singapore - maybe close to an air con?
direkt link to the caresheet

You also might want to compare with the pics of Cynops, Paramesotriton and Pachytriton at the Amphibia Web

Of course, there is no such beast as "Trithoides" - must be creative marketing... (
Amphibian Species Database

Best wishes,
kai

Old 20th May 2002   #5
roseprince

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thanks for the information, but I've compared the specimen with the pic. there are still some differnce though. the pic which I have shows a abdomen colour of either blue or yellow. but my one is really redish orange..Could it be some kind of sub-spiecies?btw it has a paddle-shaped tail,cheersClick the image to open in full size.

Old 20th May 2002   #6
roseprince

Gallery Images:
Comments:

oooops , i got the wrong picture. it looks alike from the dorsal view, yet who can be so kind to show me a picture of its abdomen? thanks very much..........

Tags
identify, newt

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 15 (Set)

Ben Krysa, Brendanboa, Chinadog, Cole Grover, Greewok, markinco, NachoMom, Nathan050793, newtkidontheblock, Randall, Shadow, Shardas, Sith the turtle, Spectacled90, xxianxx