The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 21st September 2001   #1
reinder

Gallery Images:
Comments:

my first interest in newts goes to the cynops species i would like to come in contact with people who also keep them
let me know what species you keep and if you breed them
greetings

Old 21st September 2001   #2
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hello, I'm keeping orientalis, pyrrhogaster, and ensicauda. I've bred both pyrrhogaster and orientalis.

Old 21st September 2001   #3
Aaron
(babamba)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: babamba has started on the right path

i've got pyrrhogaster and orientalis. probably gettin some ensicauda popei soon.

~Aaron

babamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2001   #4
reinder

Gallery Images:
Comments:

dear nate and babamba
wich race of pyrrhogaster do you have?

Old 22nd September 2001   #5
swan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm keeping Cynops pyrrhogaster as well.

Reinder,
how are the races distinguishable?
I have three C.p. that were bought together that have totally different belly markings. The forth one, that was bought at another place and time, has a belly pattern very similar to one of the three.

Old 22nd September 2001   #6
Aaron
(babamba)

Nationality:

the only way to know which race you have is based on precise data as to where they are from. as far as colors go, if that was the way to detect race, then i beleive to has Atsumi, Sasayamae, and some other one that i have no idea about. Sasayamae is the most common of all of them. i'll try to get some *good pics soon.

~Aaron

Old 22nd September 2001   #7
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

reindeer: My pyrrhogaster are offspring of mixed races.

Old 22nd September 2001   #8
reinder

Gallery Images:
Comments:

dear swan
babamba is right about how you can tell wich race you have, belly markings are not the way to distinguish the race.
only sasayamae has white points all over it's belly at least the ones wich are kept in holland.
I myself have cynops pyrrhogaster (sasayamae race)
and cynops pyrrhogaster (hiroshima race)the last i know certain are hiroshima's they were with a collection locality.

dear aaron
it would be nice to see some good pics
of your unidentified pyrrhogasters i think i can tell the races i have original species identification from zhao.

and nate
do you know wich races mixed together
because i find this very interesting
let me know!

Old 22nd September 2001   #9
Ralf
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Ralf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi y'all! I keep four species (subspecies) of cynops (pyrrhogaster sasayamae, ensicauda popei, orientalis and cyanurus cyanurus. The first three delivered offspring so far (orientalis and ensicauda annually, the latter even twice a year / spring and fall). The cyanurus are still subadults. I obtained them as larvae three years ago.
I am also interested in pictures of the different pyrrhogaster races (a written description can be found in THORN & RAFFAELLI 2001:"Les salamandres de l'ancien monde").
Ralf

Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2001   #10
reinder

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hi ralf
you have cyanurus i see
wheer did you obtained them i am searching for almost 2 years now and still don't have them so can you tell me where you got them and are they some available perhaps?
let me know.
has anyone also got ensicauda ensicauda
you don't see them very often and has anyone got pictures of them?

i'm finding it very interesting how many people react on these messages!

Old 22nd September 2001   #11
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

reinder: The parents appear to be a sasayamae and a tohuko, but again, this is pure speculation as the locality data is not known.

I do indeed have C. ensicauda ensicauda as well as ensicauda popei. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures.

As for cyanurus, I've been searching for them for a few years myself though it seems far more difficult to obtain them here in America than in Europe. Good luck on your search!

Old 23rd September 2001   #12
heather

Gallery Images:
Comments:

the only way to know if you have a mix race ofspring is to have the parents or have seen them.

Luckily to newts, inter-racial marriages are not as taboo as in some human societies :P

Old 23rd September 2001   #13
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thera: I have seen good photos of the parents.

Old 23rd September 2001   #14
reinder

Gallery Images:
Comments:

can you send me the pictures or put them on this forum

Old 25th September 2001   #15
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've sent the link to you by email.

Old 25th September 2001   #16
Aaron
(babamba)

Nationality:

nate, could you send me that link as well? thanks,

ibabamba@hotmail.com

Old 9th October 2001   #17
kwame

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hi ralf
im interested in any of the cynops species except for the orientalis. could you tell me where i could obtain some. or if you have any. i cant find them anywhere. now would be the perfect time to have them shipped due to cool temps.

Tags
cynops, species

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 17th August 2019, 13:22 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.