The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Bufonidae: True Toads For the discussion of true toads.

Old 5th April 2004   #1
juraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yesterday night when I was driving it was was warm and wet just after rain and hundreds Bufo viridis went out from their burrows. The road was full of them. I had to brake and stop the car every moment and put them off but I couldn`t avoid to run some over. I`m so sorry because I love these creatures Click the image to open in full size.. And what about you folks ? Do you kill toads by car ?

Old 6th April 2004   #2
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't. One night I even slammed on my brakes for a vole (That's a rodent, resembling a long mouse). Maybe you should contact local government. Quite a few places (illinois, california, and pennsylvania come to mind) close down roads during breeding season of amphibs.

Old 6th April 2004   #3
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Juraj,
I have been caught in treefrog swarms where I suspect I ran over a few as there were what appeared to be hundreds crossing the roads.
When roadcruising on roads that are just wide enough for one car, I've also had kamikaze anurans literally jump under the car tire unseen, making their suicide known with a popping sound. If I have time, I try to stop or avoid the animals but sometimes it is impossible.

Ed

Old 6th April 2004   #4
a

Gallery Images:
Comments:

In the uk, there are lots of 'toad crossings' where people help out with the masses of bufo bufo moving to their breeding area.

AJfr0ggy

Old 20th June 2004   #5
summer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Juraj,
I think you sould tell the group/people in your area that help animals like that and maybe they would close the road during breeding seasons.
-Summer

Old 23rd June 2004   #6
meghan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

EWWW ED!!! "Popping sound" What a way to go!!
Glad I'm not the only one who brakes for frogs, toads, and even wooly bear caterpillars.

Old 23rd June 2004   #7
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Meghan, I thought I was the only one who narrowly avoided serious accidents caused by wooly bear crossings.

Tags
killing, road, toads

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7 (Set)

caudatadude28, elKendo97, emmy1500, evilseba, randallsmommy, Salamandar, Stupot1610