The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 12th November 2008   #1
DRMALDADES

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DRMALDADES is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiger Salamander Wound

Hi folks!

I'm from Barcelona (Spain). I'm the owner of a tiger salamanders couple. I'm not sure about which one is the female, one is bigger than the other one. The issue is that the little one is much less active than the other one, and has a darker skin. One week ago I realise that his skin were changing, and after that some orange stains appeared around his legs and a few around his cloaca.
Today I've notice and awful wound in one of his legs. Now I'm a worried father. They have wet sphagnum moss on their terrarium and good quality water, but I supose that is a fungus problem.
Any suggestion about how can I treat his wound? Some vitamins are needed to improve his health? Any special change on the terrarium?
Just have a look to the picture, it looks painful...

Hundred thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1502.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	4755  

DRMALDADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008   #2
Ian Faux
(IanF)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 10
Rep: IanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and informationIanF has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Tiger Salamander Wound

I'd suggest a Herp vet if you have one in the area. If not some one else might have osmething to suggest. Sorry to not be much of a help.

Old 12th November 2008   #3
Erin
(slowfoot)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I would get him off the sphagnum right away and get him into a new enclosure (by himself) with moist unbleached paper towels in a cool place until you can get him to a vet. The red skin and the wound sound like a very bad bacterial infection.

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008   #4
DRMALDADES

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: DRMALDADES is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly, it was a bacterial infection, and after a few days of treatment (baths on a disolution of water and ganadexil enrofloxacina), my salamander is getting better and shinny. Thanks guys!!

DRMALDADES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salamander, tiger, wound