The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 15th August 2009   #1
Cts

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotls and snails?

I know you shouldn't keep other species together with axolotls but what about a snail similar to Pomacea bridgesii or 2 in the same tank? Can't see why they would do any harm to each other.

Cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009   #2
Brie

Nationality:
Rep: Brie has shown reliable knowledgeBrie has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotls and snails?

I saw this article about mixing disasters, if you scroll down theres a picture of an axolotl that tried to swallow a snail.

I was going to get a huge yellow snail that I saw in a shop, there was a tank of them and they were far too large for any thing to eat. Not to mention being so delightfully yellow. Anyway, I found out they would chow down on the plants in my tank and I bailed on the idea. My tank is heavily planted and I put some time and cash into making it that way.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/M...isasters.shtml

Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009   #3
Eva
(blueberlin)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Hi Cts,

I kept Pomacea bridgesii (apple snails) in my axolotl tanks and they grew quickly and were great little cleaners. Unfortunately, I now know that they are tropical snails and prefer warmer temperatures than what is appropriate for axolotls. The snails lived only one year instead of their more natural lifespan of four years.

I have bladder snails and ramshorn snails in my tanks now. They are much smaller than apple snails but prolific breeders. Despite that, however, the axolotls eat them faster than they can reproduce, so that I breed the snails in my fish tank and transfer them to the axolotl tanks as cleaners and food.

-Eva

Albert Einstein
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009   #4
kitkat

Nationality:
Rep: kitkat has started on the right path

I had some golden apple snails with mine.. they did well for a while and then my axy's sort of sucked them out to eat them. I am still not sure how, but they ate everything and anything they could get tehir moths on.. and if it was big but soft enough to slup, it too went down the mouth. I got an algae eater which was a good addition, and added some hiding places in the tank for it. I also added guppies so the axy ate those and left my algae eater be.. he's going on 18 months old now (the algae eater)

kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, snails