The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 30th January 2013   #1
levinas

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: levinas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Death of warty newt after installation of filter.

Ive had a trio of warty newts living in a tank for 6 weeks now, with no problems.Done water changes weekly so didnt use a filter.Installed a filter 3 days ago and found one newt lying upon filter-small in tank power filter laying flat on tank floor-obviously in distress so pulled her out, she was still alive but seemed to be gulping.She was placed into a container with shallow tank water but i think she's now died.Found a second newt in same place 15 mins later, she appeared to be attempting to purge/vomit-throat distended, tongue protruding from mouth seemingly swollen so pulled her out and placed her on floating land mass and she seemed to recover and returned to water but i thought it best to pull filter out and have now done a 100%water change, replacing water with newly collected rainwater.
The filter did vibrate and as i found both newts atop the submerged filter would the vibration have caused problems?Would the intake of water cause a apulling on the newts stomach that could cause the reaction, the gapeing/gasping, distended throat?Or is it chemical changes in the water due to filtration?The water did change colour, probably due to charcoal in filter.

levinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013   #2
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Death of warty newt after installation of filter.

How strong is the water flow? Strong flow and high water level could is harsh on newts. Charcoal in the filter? Maybe you mean carbon? I have carbon in a lot of my filters it helps with removing tannins and keeping water clear. Activated carbon doesn't do anything for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Its completely safe to use.

A newt found floating or at the bottom motionless with the tongue visible sounds very much like a drowning. I had it happen before and it sucks. Check how strong or how many gallons of water is the filter built for. It could be too strong for your tank.

Old 30th January 2013   #3
levinas

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: levinas is an unknown quantity at this point

The filter is larger than is required for the tank.Thankyou for the reply, if protruding tongue indicates drowning then i think that may be best explanation.Both newts were found atop the intake vents of the filter and i now think the pull of the water held them on the filter, underwater.The remaining two newts, particularly the one formerly in distress, now look fine with the filter removed.Yes i did mean carbon in the filter.

Thaks again.

levinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013   #4
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinas View Post
The filter is larger than is required for the tank.Thankyou for the reply, if protruding tongue indicates drowning then i think that may be best explanation.Both newts were found atop the intake vents of the filter and i now think the pull of the water held them on the filter, underwater.The remaining two newts, particularly the one formerly in distress, now look fine with the filter removed.Yes i did mean carbon in the filter.

Thaks again.
Your welcome. Best to use a simple sponge filter or air hose filter of some sort.

Old 5th February 2013   #5
Geckogirl88

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Geckogirl88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the loss of your little one.
It does sound like drowning.
Perhaps an under-gravel filter would be better?
x

Geckogirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote