Question: Concerned about Axolotl's Legs

mjoyal4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Matt
Hi, so I posted about this a month or so ago out of curiosity but no I'm beginning to worry a little.

My axolotl has small legs it seems. My girlfriend's axolotl is the same size as mine but the legs are almost twice in
length. Hers can walk around and swim with them, everything normal.

My axolotl, however, does not seem so fortunate. The legs seem to only be small things that jut out of his body. He
cannot use them to walk around as they are not long enough and it looks like he doesn't even have elbows/knees. It also
seems to affect his swimming.

He has no past of losing limbs and I was wondering if there was anything I can do.

EDIT: Also, he almost always keeps his legs upward against his body. Not sure if this is normal because of all the
axolotls I've seen, none have done this.

Here's some pictures of him.
f3yuo.jpg

2rmnsxu.jpg

Thanks for any input in advance.

Last edited:
If you recently aquired that axolotl it may have had it's limbs bitten off and they just haven't grown back fully yet.

I've had him since March. They have not been bitten off.

I realize this may not be the answer you're looking for, but he may have unusually short legs and be otherwise healthy. You say it seems to affect his swimming, but does he seem bothered by that? Is he eating and growing reasonably? My experience of animals with disabilities (for lack of a better word) is that they're often perfectly fine to get along as they can, when a human might have an existential crisis. :)

Yeah, otherwise he is fine. Maybe I'm just getting concerned over nothing then. Not much I could do anyways.

I like his stumpy little legs too. Maybe they'll grow, or maybe that's just how he is. Hope he learns to move around easier though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back