The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Old 9th June 2018   #1
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ntny has shown reliable knowledgentny has shown reliable knowledge
Default Plethodon yonahlossee questions?

Hello Folks,
May i ask if anyone keeps and breeds Plethodon yonahlossee?
i read they are found near the blue ridge mountains area, therefore i suppose they need cooler temps lower than 20C?
https://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_q...account=lannoo

i also cannot seem to find them available online anywhere... are they a rare species?
Is there anyway i can obtain them?

Thanks and cheers!

ntny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Plethodon yonahlossee questions?

I have never seen them offered for sale online. They are one of those species you have to go collect yourself.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018   #3
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:

Hi Otterwoman,
Thanks for kind advice.
Too bad these are not available.... they are such beautiful species from the Plethodon complex
have you seen Plethodon serratus available? the southern redbacks are also very beautiful.
Thanks again

Old 10th June 2018   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Plethodons are not commonly for sale. You could try to make friends with a herper in that area and strike some kind of deal...but building friendships here takes time and effort, to learn to trust a stranger from the internet.

Not that it's impossible. I went on vacation with two women from the forum I'd never met before our vacation.
We had such a good time we did it again.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 11th June 2018   #5
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:

Hi Otterwoman,
thanks for advice,
wow sounds like you have great adventures herping.
do we need to apply a proper license to collect herps from the wild in exmaple: North carolina (Plethodon yonahlossee)?
Thanks and cheers!

Old 11th June 2018   #6
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

I'm not sure, laws vary from state to state. Check your state laws. I think under fishing laws?

Old 18th June 2018   #7
ntny
(ntny)

Nationality:

hello folks

Can anyone share if keeping Plethodon yonahlosse is similar to Plethodon glutinosus?
as per caresheet below?
https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/P...utinosus.shtml

thanks

Old 3rd August 2018   #8
kamil

Nationality:
Rep: kamil is an unknown quantity at this point

They were for sale in Europe recently, even Plethodon longicrus (‚yonahlossee Bat Cave‘) was offered there. I guess in the US they are not exotic enough?

kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018   #9
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They were offered here too. The Bat Cave locality is illegal to collect/possess and that entire batch of salamanders is probably illegal as well as the numbers vastly exceeded NC's laws on amphibian collection.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018   #10
merman

Nationality:
Rep: merman is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to pipe in, but I have done some research on this subject and do not profess to be an expert on anything.

Western NC has a large amount of salamander species, many of which are federally or state protected. Those that are not, out-of-staters may collect up to 24 specimens without permit. Actually collecting them is another issue: state and federal parks in the blue-ridge area are off limits leaving privately held land as your only option for search. (Good luck finding unclaimed land anywhere in this day and age.) I imagine trespassing may be handled with the same casual latitude in favor of the land owners if you understand my meaning. Great advice about striking up a friendship (think NC herp societies and the like). I am not sure about Tennessee, but suspect their laws may not be so generous.

I have been considering a NA sallie project as an alternative to the current decline in the availability of Asian species.

I cannot speak for the presence of federally protected US species available in the European pet trade and am disturbed by it like I am the with the current rise in our market of rare Australian and Malagasy species. Sorry for the rant.

merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018   #11
merman

Nationality:
Rep: merman is an unknown quantity at this point

May I also point out, that current NC laws state, of the 24 specimens you plan to transport, only 4 may be of the same species. Just sayin'!

merman is offline   Reply With Quote