The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Kansamander

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kansamander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ambystoma tigrinum from bait shop

Made a run to a Nebraska bait shop this year to pick up some "waterdogs" to raise as pets. These two are male and female. I got two cheap tanks, busted out the ends of each, mounted on a sturdy board, and fastened them with aquarium silicone, for their terrestrial habitat. They eat nightcrawlers, though the female will take red wrigglers (the male shakes his head and then bites my finger).

Planted aquarium, plenty of worms, woodlice, and springtails/other small bugs.

Question - knowing these were collected in Nebraska, what sub-species do you reckon they are? Or are they perhaps hybrids of Eastern and Barred?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180827_011331(1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	619.7 KB
ID:	54417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180811_205941.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	658.9 KB
ID:	54418   Click image for larger version

Name:	31530818_604840863219353_1859965922886811648_o.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	54419   Click image for larger version

Name:	37268376_657953307908108_6467019995179122688_o.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	54420  

Kansamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma tigrinum from bait shop

I want to hear more about your tank build! Great looking animals!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome setup! Can we get a full tank shot from the side? I'm also curious about how you put it together.

Thanks!

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Those look really nice. feeling jealous.

Old 6 Days Ago   #5
Kansamander

Nationality:
Rep: Kansamander is an unknown quantity at this point

Large delay to respond - sorry bout that - I actually just did a tank clean and remodel. I bought two 20 gallon aquariums for $14 at Walmart. With gloves on, broke the end glass out of one of each with a hammer (in retrospect, I could've just used a box cutter blade to remove the glass...), used box cutter to clean all silicone off the edges, and glued them opening inward onto a flat whiteboard cut to accommodate the size of both. I used industrial strength adhesive to bind them to the board, and then used silicone in multiple layers on the bottom edge to seal the bottom joint. I made sure to keep the black plastic under-supports, so there is support in the middle of the tank along the joint. I cut a strip of acrylic and glued it to the inside along the up/down seams (the idea being to keep the joint from moving too much), and then added multiple layers of silicone over the top to seal it.

I also sealed the pump portion of the (usually over-the-side) aquarium filter, to enable it to be submerged. Using hose, pvc T-joints and plastic screen, I made an under-gravel filtration system pulling water into the filter. Added a small layer of gravel, then some bio-degradable landscaping fabric, then more gravel. Built it up so there is a side that's lower, but for good measure, put a plastic basket and plastic cutting board to elevate/stabilize the land-side. Added a saved mix of springtails, woodlice, red-wriggler and garden worms, then new repti-soil, rehydrated moss, and coconut fiber over the top.

Got a vine and fern from home depot, rinsed the roots, and planted them along the edge. I used the cut end of a mesh basket to form a little holder flush to the aquarium back, which serves the purpose of keeping Sally and Mander from burrowing in it. (Mander decided just to lay on top of it this am...). I'm in the process of creating pvc half-pipe logs for hides, and am waiting on several shades of Krylon Fusion paint to be delivered today.

All in all, it seems to be doing well.

(Krylon Fusion just arrived while I was typing this. Will post pics of hides after a couple of days and paint has cured)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	54472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joint.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	54473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Set up.JPG
Views:	14