Culturing Asellus indoors

Jesper

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Made an attempt at these little buggers, mainly as tank scavengers, a few months ago thanks to Mark :)

They made the transfer from outdoors to indoors well, also survived several changes of environment very well.

I started them in my version of el natural, soil base capped with sand, densely planted. Put them in, then I didnt see any for many weeks. Later when I moved and had to make a new setup, this time using mineralised soil capped with gravel also densely planted, I found a few Asellus living under a large root.

After a few months and a sparse carpet of Glossostigma they are everywhere and turn out to be ferious planteaters. They started making the Rotala rotundifolia their dinner then went on to consume the Glossostigma... It started out as small holes in healthy leaves then the leaf went yellow and subsequently further attacked. They started doing this when they ran out of dead plant matter etc to eat.

I have taken out the root 3 times and removed shocking amounts of Asellus to no avail, they hide very well and multiply very fast once they get going...

Now some H.orientalis are patrolling this setup, hopefully they can clear them out.. Should culture some for snacks really...fast breeders, hardy, very undemanding and cope well with high densities.

They get along well with shrimp too; one of the few animals that can safely be kept with shrimp.

Asellus aquaticus (waterlouse) - YouTube

shrimp feeding frenzy - YouTube

I found some asellus yesterday when I was walking the dog and stopped to turn over rocks in the river. There weren't a lot of asellus; just about 1 for every 5 rocks I turned over, so perhaps a river full of minnows isn't the ideal environment for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back