Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need help with my Mudpuppy!

Alii

Reaction score
I had never even laid my eyes on a mudpuppy when I caught one with a minnow last weekend. The hook injured it slightly and I took it home out of fascination and the urge to nurture it. I’ve spent hours researching mudpuppies and have completely fallen in love with them. Ive got him (not sure the gender but I named him Leon) in a 20 gallon tank with a log he hides in frequently, along with sand and pebbles both. I’ve been filtering the water with a filter that had come with the tank, I also use a small aerator every once in a while because I’m freaked out about him not having enough air in the water.
Okay okay okay, here’s my issue. He’s not eaten in a week. I figure stress has a lot to do with that, but I’ve kept minnows and earthworms and I even tried a millworm. He’s not taken anything. A couple days ago two of his minnows died, covered in weird snot-like...algae-looking.. slime. Well the next day Leon himself started getting this weird slime on his body, and a little on his head. Today it’s gotten worse and I’m very worried. But I really don’t know if I should be! I read somewhere that they emit toxins when they’re stressed.. is that correct? I’m going to try to find a small crawfish to entice him with soon but I just need answers! Is he sick? Do I need to try this salt bath concept that I keep reading about on here? I’m not experienced but I am very passionate and eager to learn!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1