The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 30th December 2019   #1
Greenhalgh88

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Greenhalgh88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lighting help

Hi. Iím new to this forum. I need some help with my lighting. I have a bio active Terrarium for my tiger salamander with live plants. What kind of light do I use for the plants and not give off heat so it wonít hurt the tiger salamander. Thank you

Greenhalgh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019   #2
Josh
(JoshBA)

Nationality:
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Lighting help

A cheap led fixture/bulb should be sufficient, but it depends on your plants' needs. The cheap screw-in LED bulbs sold as incandescent/fluorescent replacements actually work pretty well for low light plants. However, leds do produce some heat, especially with the higher wattage fixtures designed for plants (although even lower wattage bulbs give off considerable heat). You could raise the light a few inches above the terrarium lid to minimize this issue.

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020   #3
Ellen Chernoff
(ellenc)

Nationality:
Rep: ellenc has shown reliable knowledgeellenc has shown reliable knowledge

An aquarium fluorescent fixture works. It can be raised on blocks on top of the terrarium at both ends to minimize heat.

ellenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2020   #4
emergent

Nationality:
Rep: emergent is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I'm new to this forum also. I'm coming from the dart frog hobby. I use a Fluval Aquasky LED for my 29 gallon tank. It doesn't produce much heat and the plants are all prospering nicely. My tank stays around 73 F. You can pick it up on-line or in pet stores for around $80.

emergent is offline   Reply With Quote