The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 23rd March 2016   #1
Ben
(Nano)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nano has shown reliable knowledge
Default Anaerobic bacteria?

I use standard brown aquarium sand in my tank and over time the bottom layers of the sand have began turning black. Even the underside of the larger rocks I use for decoration are black so I'm pretty sure it's anaerobic bacteria instead of algae.

Is anaerobic bacteria bad? I can't seem to find a clear answer.
If it is bad do you recommend just stirring up the sand or are Malaysian trumpet snails a good option? (I'm worried if I introduce snails I'll eventually have hundreds of them)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Click the image to open in full size.
Here you can see just how black it has made the side of this rock which is buried in the sand

Last edited by Nano; 23rd March 2016 at 00:30. Reason: Added picture
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016   #2
Chris
(AxolotlChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Anaerobic bacteria?

Anaerobic bacteria can be harmful, but often is not in concentrated amounts which can pose a problem, although, why have anaerobic bacteria when you don't need to?

How thick is your substrate? it's recommended to disturb the sand slightly where this bacteria is most likely to develop to allow the pockets of gas to disperse.

Can you take images of your tank and substrate?