Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axie Mum

Eiona68

Reaction score
Hello there,

I just got my first ever axolotle a week ago and must say although very excited I am also very nervous. He is a beautiful Golden Albino called Aristotle, not sure how many months old he is but he is about 5-6 inches long. I'd just like to check that I am feeding him correctly. I have been giving him one earthworm a day cut in half but I'm concerned it's not enough as I haven't spotted any poop yet. Please advise so I can give him the best care. Thanks

Eiona68

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for letting me join.:confused: I'm a new Axie mum living in South Wales in the UK. I bought my Axie a week ago and am infatuated. I spend so much of my time just sitting watching him. He's a Golden Albino called Aristotle and he's about 5-6 inches long but the pet store wasn't sure of his age. I'm feeding him one earthworm cut in half once a day. Is this enough or should I feed him more please?

Kitan

Reaction score
It might seem like a irrelevant question but what type of earth worm? There are Red Wigglers (pretty small and often unappetizing) as well as both European and Canadian Night Crawlers. Canadian NC are the largest of the lot.

My 5/6" only eats about 1/2 to 2/3 of a Canadian NC a day, but that is more just because he spits them out if I try to feed him more XD

His poops might not be super solid which could account for not finding them. Also I have been told they are mini poop pinatas if they step on them. If he is eating regularly and his rear isnt floating (Constipation will usually present with a floating rear end), I would GUESS he is alright. I am only a week in on this myself, but I research rather obsessively :p

Eiona68

Reaction score
I think they are night crawlers. The tub only says Dendrobaena SP but no country of origin. I was told in the pet store to feed every other day but wasn't sure that was right. His head is wider than his tummy so maybe they skimp on feeding. He eats it all and doesn't regurgitate it so I wasn't sure if I should feed him more at a time or feed him twice daily. I have also done extensive research but am still concerned he's not being fed enough. I just want to get everything right for my boy. Thanks for your reply and good luck with your new Axie too x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!