Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick Axie floating on side

shells

Reaction score
I’ve rarely had to post in here over the past 7 years as my Abraham has been quite well, (apart from a couple of illnesses which we got through) and well cared for. Im hoping someone with ALOT experience might be able to assist with options/thoughts ,as it seems I’m running out......

A couple of years ago, while at an exotic vet for similar issue, an X-ray was taken an there was a “mass” seen in his belly area, being the critters they are a biopsy was out of the question. Fluids were taken and he’d picked up an infection which was treated with Flagyl. He came good.

In the past month or so he started gulping up for air (nothing unusual for him) but now it was more frequent and with more gusto (I could hear the gulp sometimes!) I though nothing of it as all other mannerisms where normal and eating habits unchanged. Then 6 days ago, he ate dinner, but threw it up :( then become sullen, and the last couple of days kicking a rear leg up to the side, and floating tail up (usually after a gulp of air)

So, of to his vet we went yesterday. More fluids revealed inflammation markers, but blood cell counts not as high as they had been on other illnesses. I have started another course of flagyl.

Today I’ve had to take him out of his home and place him in a container, which is floating on top of his tank water to keep chilled, because the leg is getting kicked higher and is now floating half on that side, and appeared to be getting stressed in his large take due to floating/balance/grounding issues. He’s unresponsive to me (other then a flap of the girls when I go over to check on him and ask how he is) .

I’m wondering if this “mass” seen on last imaging has potentially grown to an unaccomdating size, and the gulps for air were a desperate attempt to create some space in his belly????

My water was tested at the vets (it took a sample in) all ok, he’s in a 3ft tank, on sand with filter airation.
He hasn’t eaten or shown interest in food since his up chuck... soooooo not like him

I should mention he’ll be 16 in November :eek:

If anyone can shed some other thoughts or insight, it would be greatly appreciated. I feel so helpless and he looks in so much discomfort and I feel mean having to shove (for want of a better word) this medicine down his throat, especially if it’s not needed. And don’t want to have to put him through the stress of more imaging... just yet!!
While I trust my vet, I can’t help but wonder if this is the beginning of the end :(:(:(

Thanks for reading

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Wow 16! You obviously really care for him, what a great thing to see.
Has he pooped at all? Usually floating (especially the backside) can be gas or constipation. If he is gulping at the surface I imagine he could have air bubbles in his belly. I'm not sure if the mass could be causing it.
What kinds of food have you been offering?

shells

Reaction score
Hi Hayley, Thanks for your response. Unfortunately Abraham passed a few days after my post :(

lizawalker

Reaction score
Hi, I’m so sorry to hear about your axie. I have a floating problem with my 5 1/2 month old axie. she’s been floating for months. i’ve tried everything. salt baths, putting her in the fridge, vet treatment! i cant see the gas bubble and i think it’s reoccurring, but i think its caused by ammonia because my tank wasn’t fully cycled when i put her in. she’s a bit longer than my index finger. a few days ago, i tried putting her in the fridge and took her out last night, and she wasn’t floating! but then, shes floating this morning. i don’t think she eats bubbles, or if she does i never see her do it. can anyone help?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!