Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Complete Curved Tail?

ksb1001

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just got my Baxter about 2 weeks ago. He’s eating great, exploring, swimming all around, he’s great. It’s very exciting to see him look for me when he knows he’s getting fed. I completely cycled the tank for about two weeks before I brought him home. Yes on a sand bottom which I didn’t realize how small he was going to be when I got him or I would have left it bare. We have minimized him eating sand by using that dish in there to feed him in. He loves the hiding place underneath too! He’s eating every other day a rotation of chopped up earth worm (he gets about 4 small pieces equaling about a third of a mid size earth worm) and a mix of brine shrimp and blood worms. I feel like he’s grown a ton since I got him. Anyways... I read a thread about tail curl at the end and I’m worried. I feel like his tail is curled along the entire length. He’s hard to get pictures of but I think you can see what I mean. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Tank parameters:
pH: 7.3
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm

Sorry the pictures are sideways. I’m posting from my phone and am not sure how to fix it.

Attachments

• CDE79AC8-4B1E-4357-B3B1-351617BCE43D.jpg
    CDE79AC8-4B1E-4357-B3B1-351617BCE43D.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 7A7BB42F-11B0-4A67-9454-CF8B980750FE.jpg
    7A7BB42F-11B0-4A67-9454-CF8B980750FE.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 3EC8B090-F2CF-4301-A0D3-067CFAF8FADB.jpg
    3EC8B090-F2CF-4301-A0D3-067CFAF8FADB.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 126

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
Curved tail tip and forward gills are signs of stress, your little guy looks really healthy though imo. Maybe take the sand out, its unnecessary and hard to clean D: it is nice for aesthetic purposes

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
Some tail curl is fine and natural that I have found with my boys.
If his gills are facing forward with a curved tail then I would be concerned

Looks like a wonderful little dude :D

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
Ah, looking at it again I see what you're talking about.
With the top of his tail curling over. If you got him like that and there has been no other symptoms then he is most likely 100% fine.
No problem :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1