Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dicamps in Sno./King Counties

PNWHerper

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new here. I am a regular post-er at the FHF site, and am a resident of the eastside of Seattle Area. I have been field herping for years in the PNW, and have found some awesome creatures out there. I have, thus far, been unsuccessful with finding coastal giant salamanders. I want to photograph them up close, and observe them in the wild, but am not interested in collecting any or keeping them.

Thanks!

PNWHerper aka Filip T.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Call me obtuse, but does "locality request edited out" come across to anyone, in addition to the general flavor of the post, as a locality request?

I've looked briefly in that area, but the habitat wasn't right where I looked. On the coast and in the Oregon Cascades, I have found Dicamptodon to be stupidly common. In Idaho, the genus seems very localized but semi-common where present, but in Montana VERY spotty so far [several at one locality searched]. Make sure to find the right habitat. I've done most of my searching July to early October, when water levels can be very low [a trickle in some] in some streams, and salamanders can be found in rocky streams surrounded by forest, even if that stream is little more than puddles connected by seepage under the talus. At this time of year, I suspect water levels in the best streams might be too high and fast to be practical.

PNWHerper

Reaction score
My mistake, FrogEyes. Must have missed the rules in my excitement. Better go and read them before I do something else against the rules...:confused:

I saw others posting on specific locations when reading through different posts. There are even some labelled with specific creek names. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

PNWHerper

Reaction score
Could not access the rules, and made the assumption based on posts by others about locality sharing being somewhat okay here. I saw some posts labelled with specific locations and perhaps got the wrong impression.

Was not intending to cause issue or be inconsiderate of the rules of engagement here.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1