Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New member Intro

Flyguy784

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. Oh boy, here goes another forum for me. I always feel I may have too many interests. Fishing forums, fossil forums, restoration forums oh my.

Having always been interested in reptiles, particularly snakes and some exotic lizards/tortoises, I've decided to investigate and keep a few saly's. Never that interested in keeping them as I do love holding and handling my captive friends. Obviously with these amphibians, that's not such a good idea. However, in my travels I've been fortunate to find many species native to PA. Spotted, Marbled, Dusky, Slimy etc etc. I've never collected any of the specimens I've found in the wild simply because I was unprepared and ill equipped to provide them a suitable environment. I will not take a specimen from the wild only to have it meet it's demise.

Well curiosity got the better of me and I started doing research on the "larger" salamanders commonly kept as pets. Although I know of locations that harbor Spotted and Marbled Salamanders, I decided to purchase an Eastern Tiger Salamander. There are areas in two adjacent states that have natural populations but they are in decline and I felt it wouldn't be right to further their population decrease.

I built a proper enclosure, procured an assortment of thriving crickets, meal worms, wax worms and earth worms. My little guy arrived two weeks ago. The first week he was a little lethargic and reclusive. I'm sure that's normal. New environment, travel etc. Now, the little bugger (about 5") is thriving. I swear he knows my face and voice. He resides under his tree bark hide until I walk into the room. Then I see him poke his little face out and start wandering around his enclosure. Of course he then gets a snack. He eats like a fiend and is quite adept at grabbing any offering out of my fingers.

My plan is to keep only him for awhile, till I'm sure I've mastered the husbandry of these unusual creatures then procure some other specimens. Perhaps Spotted, although I frequently find Long Tails and just love their appearance. As my cricket "farm" is already producing pin heads I may be able to provide them suitable husbandry.

So,I'm happy to be a member and look forward to many interesting post's and conversations on the forum. . . .

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Salamanders are fascinating creatures and rewarding to have around even if they don't cuddle.

Cindwa

Reaction score
One can never have too many interests! Keeps us living and learning. Pleased to make your acquaintance and best of luck with your aquatic friend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1