Small List of Plants - Will These Work In a Semi-Aquatic Setup

Crixtala

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm picking up a 75 gallon tank hopefully in the next week or two, and plan on doing a full custom build. I've been searching around the internet, and have been getting lots of ideas from people that build frog Vivariums. I've accumulated a small list of plants that I'd like to see in my tank, but I just want to make sure that they'll work first. Here's the list:

- Nephrolepis cordifolia 'duffii' (Lemon Button Fern)

- Selaginella - Plana

- Selaginella uncinata

- Ficus pumila var. quercifolia (Oak Leaf Creeping Fig)

- Monochaetum sp. Ecuador

- Cryptanthus

- Lomnobium laevigatum (Amazon frogbits)

- Taxiphyllum alternans (Taiwan moss)

- Taxiphyllum sp. (Flame moss)

Any help with any of this will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I would say that the workability of these plants depends on what species of animal you plan to keep in it. A lot of the plants normally grown in tropical tanks are... tropical. Newts are not tropical. If you are planning on newts, then temperature becomes a limiting factor in choosing plants.

I see that Kaysie has removed some photos, as we do not permit posting photos from other websites (it's actually illegal to do so). Are the remaining photos yours?

Oops. I meant to remove them all. Got ahead of myself.

You did not mention what kind of substrate that you plan on using. If it is soil then the Selaginella's, creeping fig, and Nephrolepis should do fine assuming that you will have good lighting. The Cryptanthus will probably survive however the commonly available species are actually more suited to arid environments, despite the fact that they are often portrayed in humid, tropical vivariums. The frogbit should be fine in the water (again with good lighting). I cannot comment on the other species because I have never attempted to grow them.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back