Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plants

kclinton

Reaction score
Have you guys ever bought the type of plant that comes in a plastic tub with clear jelly stuff in the bottom. Are they good or bad dosent really matter. Do you take the jelly out? The guy at the pet store was not vary smart. Any help would be great thanks.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Dumb guys in pet stores are quite a common thing. Sure, there are good ones but it is not the norm.

The gel in the bottom of the plants.... It is likely a moisture reservoir of some sort. Sort of like the stuff in disposable diapers. It absorbs 100 times its weight in water and holds it unless sucked out by capillary action (ie roots or tiny mouth parts). Though the plants could also be hydroponic and the stuff could be some sort of medium. Either way, I would remove it and rinse the roots in water before adding the plants to the tank. I like to eliminate the posibility of adding anything to my tanks.

kclinton

Reaction score
Yeah he tryed to tell me their was no such thing as an axolotl just tiger sals. I more or less put him back in his place as nice as I could. Any ways I was thinking the same way about the jelly stuff I will rinse it off. I don't like to add stuff to my tanks as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!