Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hyla arborea spawn

vincent

Reaction score
Right here goes the start of a new year and things are looking brighter already, my European tree-frogs spawned on the 14th of February and they have now started to hatch. There appears to be quite a lot so I had the chance to split the batch between two tanks so I hope to let you all know how I get on. They were kept outside all year after I got 10 of them in June but two died not growing at all, then in December three large were found dead in a frozen pool of water that had got into the enclosure during heavy rain. It has been very cold here minus 8c for days but the frogs appeared to be un-bothered by the cold and if not for the water getting in I would have lost just two. I brought them indoors on 1st of Jan and they fed very well taking flies crickets waxworms cockroaches and put on a lot of size.On the 12th of Feb I made up a spawning tank{large petpal 5cm of water some peace lilies in the water and some pond weed] I placed 5 frogs in the tank they called one night and spawned the next:rolleyes: it's as simple as that the frogs have been placed in a woodland setup so I can feed them up and do it again in April.I hope to raise a lot of taddies and this time I HAVE them under u/v tubes with strong bright lighting.Wish me luck :eek:

uwe

Reaction score
Hi Vicent,

congratulation to the breeding success. Especially H.arborea is not easy to breed. The info is that for breeding outdoor-keeping is necessary. Your combination is interesting. Did you also simulate on daylight to get them to breed? Or was it just the temperature?

Do I understand correctly, that you will try a second breeding? Would be interesting.

Good luck with the tadpoles.

See you

Uwe

vincent

Reaction score
Hi UWE
The thing is Arborea is really easy to breed Ive kept them in doors and bred them without any natural light just reptisun tubes. Five years ago I spawned them 5 times in one year not recommended they would not stop,twice is ample then place them in a woodland terrarium to stop them breeding. They do need the hibernation though bob them in your fridge for a more constant temp in a ventillated box filled with damp moss for 8weeks ,it's safer than outside with the temp variables. I had lots one year but got a virus which wiped a lot of my stock out . Lost all my Arborea ,just replaced them last year and they aren't a year old yet and spawning already.If you read my article on HYLA VERSICOLOR its'the same method. At present the taddies are hanging on the sides of their tanks, I shall start to feed them on goldfish flake in two days the tanks are well lit and I'm using U/V TUBES for amphibians it will help with growth of the tads and plants .As the tads get older I use catfish sinker pellets which really do make big tadpoles, which makes bigger froglets and easier to feed :D

colinmelsom

Reaction score
You can get them to multiple spawn,I found that mine were triggered by changes in temperature and probably atmospheric pressure.The tadpoles are very small when they hatch and you have to be careful when the froglets metamorphose as they start climbing as soon as they have front legs.

vincent

Reaction score
Yeh trouble is you don't want too much spawn at once as it makes rearing hard, I use clear plastic tubs from the supermarket and divide them up .At the moment I have three tanks on the go with 400 - 500 tads :D the warmest tank has the largest tads.They are not heated as such but the flourescent tube starter is next to the tank and heats the water. Having them grow at different rates helps;) When a tadpole gets front legs it is placed in a large pet pal with 4 cm of water then when they leave the water. they are transferred again into rearing tanks with a base of kitchen roll and a jam jar lid with water keeping them outside for a few weeks in the summer brings them on :wacko:

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Vincent congratulations! 500 tads its a good number!
Read the PM I sent you please;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1