Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts

mmfh

Reaction score
Update on my T. Yangi. It's been about two weeks. They are both eating worms and are nicely plump. A few questions tho. They are SLOW. They move like they are in slow motion. Is this normal? They are attentive and look at me and eat but all very slowly. Should I feed them every other day? They are Hugh and I'm afraid of over feeding them. Plus they don't seem to deficate every day, is this normal? I am having a problem, if I dust the worms with calcium as soon as they taste it they spit the worm out. How do I get around this problem? Thank you. Now for the pics :)
1373083395.jpg

1373083352.jpg

1373083331.jpg

frogman

Reaction score
Great looking newts you have there, I find mine to be 80% aquatic this time of year for me and then terrestrial during 3-4 months during the winter.

mmfh

Reaction score
Right now they are in a quarantine cage. I have damp moss on half the cage and damp paper towels on the bottom. They have a water bowl that.is large enuf to soak in but they both avoid it like the plague. The tank they are going into is as of right now a 75 land 25 water but I might change that to 50/50.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Slow movement is normal for Tylototritons. I always marvel that these species are even able to survive in the wild - how do they get food when they move this slowly??:confused:

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
A few questions tho. They are SLOW. They move like they are in slow motion. Is this normal? They are attentive and look at me and eat but all very slowly.

They shouldn't be lightning fast movers like Jennewt said, and this species in particular are quite lazy and very bold, so this is kind of normal. They eat slowly too, taking their time to take down their food.

Should I feed them every other day? They are Hugh and I'm afraid of over feeding them.

Feed them 3 times a week at this size, that has always been a general rule for a few of my species, and they never seem to loose weight or get obese.

Plus they don't seem to deficate every day, is this normal

From what I have found of my breeders they don't seem to do it everyday, aslong as your individuals are defecating? Are you certain they are defecating?

I am having a problem, if I dust the worms with calcium as soon as they taste it they spit the worm out. How do I get around this problem? Thank you. Now for the pics :)

You should be gut-loading live food anyway really so the Supplements are an extra reassurance that they are getting it. However what kind of worms are you using? I never really found this a problem before.

Last edited:

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
this newt is 0% aquatic?

They are 75-80% aquatic for their breeding period which is normally most of the summer time however, you are not guaranteed that they will enter the water. They are predominantly terrestrial for the rest of the year and will hardly enter the water.

frogman

Reaction score
I find mine to be pretty speedy when feeding time comes, and also quite active when in the water. I have seen one small male pound a worm that was double its body length in under 2 minutes. The worm was meant for a large female and he stole it :p. I have not noticed mine to be too sluggish but that may just be my individuals.

MiniraBuster

Reaction score
The one that I have is huge; and she only gets bigger once she's finished eating a Canadian Nightcrawler. One thing I've learned about my tylo is that she "goes" after spraying her with water. She's very sluggish, dislikes water, and spends her day digging around in her cave and just staying in her spot once she's done.

mmfh

Reaction score
Actually, as far as feeding goes I'm just confused. I have roaches, Isopods, crickets, red worms, and night crawlers. I do have frozen bloodworms but since I'm feeding on land I'm not sure how to feed those. Also, with as slow as they are I couldn't fathom how they would catch any thing but a worm. How do you gut load worms? I remember reading somewhere that a person injected worms with liquid calcium but I'm not sure any details were given, like how much and where to get liquid calcium. So far they will eat the red worms and the night crawlers but spit them out if they have calcium powder on them. As far as fecal matter, twice now I have found black smudges that by process of elimination IMO must be fecal matter because the cage is as of now quite sparse.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Tylos will stalk legged prey and catch it with a snap of the jaws or tongue. They don't need to be fast to catch prey by surprise.

Gutloading works well with scavengers or omnivores like crickets, probably not so well with isopods. Overall, earthworms are pretty good food, and neither dusting nor gut-loading are really needed or helpful. In fact, if dusting causes prey to be rejected completely, it seems counter-productive. In the wild, prey should be abundant beneath subtropical leaf litter or downed logs, and a slow toxic predators have little fear of starving.

alexps

Reaction score
I don't have this species.... yet I would suggest that you feed your worms fish flakes that way they are gut loaded a friend of mine injects liquid calcium into his feeder worms

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
How do you gut load worms? I remember reading somewhere that a person injected worms with liquid calcium but I'm not sure any details were given, like how much and where to get liquid calcium.

You shouldn't need to like Frogeyes says, it's unneeded as they are very good nutrition wise the only food I would Gut-load for them would be the Crickets and that's about it really. Never injected either, don't know anyone that does it either if I am honest really. I have never had any such problem before :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1