Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton deloustali

Niels D

Reaction score
I have 4 of them for a couple of months now. They're from 2009 and I'm totally in love. Ferocious eaters and lovely patterns and colours. Still growing of course. When I got them they were still terrestrial, but they're fully aquatic now.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful! I love Paramesotriton, but just don't have the space at the moment...
How easily did they go into the water and how did you encourage them?

C

Niels D

Reaction score
I put them seperately in plastic tanks with a couple of bricks sticking out of the water. I didn't gave them much cover above the water, except for some Ficus repens. Everytime I fed them with an earthworm I tricked them into the water, though I experimented with one animal by putting it in the water each time I checked its tanks. I would never have guessed that this animal was the first to become aquatic. It took me a couple of days for the first. The othters followed him 2 to 3 weeks later.

frogman

Reaction score
Simply an amazing species. Thank you for the great photos.

Evan

emmyk

Reaction score
Wow amazing! How big of a tank do these guys need?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Niels D

Reaction score
How big of a tank do these guys need?

For now I'm still keeping them in couples (not sure of the sexes yet) in 60x30x30 tanks. Males tend to get agressive towards eachother or a second female once they are aquatic. Most offspring turn out to be females, so I hope there's a male among my animals. I think one animal is.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That would be my luck as well! Oh well at least they're stunning to look at in the meantime! I'm very envious, they look so rugged and healthy!!

Niels D

Reaction score
I've fed them maybe a little too much waxies, but they are prehistoric looking tanks. It's not too bad having those males. I've been told many times that males are more rare to find. I already made arrangements to get me two females, so I'm not complaining. In my next life I want to be a Tam Dao newt.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They are beautiful Niels, i´m jealous. I never really cared that much for the genus Paramesotriton until i saw deloustali. They sparked an interest.
Good luck with the new females, the boys are clearly ready!

velasco13000

Reaction score
Those are amazing looking newts...Do people here in the US have any success with breeding them as well? Im super interested NOW :)

garfield188

Reaction score
Nice Niels, aren't these 4 paramesitrodon males aggresive against one another?

Steven

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Those are amazing looking newts...Do people here in the US have any success with breeding them as well? Im super interested NOW :)

Velasco there very hard to find in the US, I'm not aware of any one breeding them, and I have not seen any for sale or trade in years.

Great Males Niels. Hopefully you can track down lots of ladies for them!

velasco13000

Reaction score
They do look identical to my male honkonensis...so rugged and prehistoric looking..hopefully i have good luck in breeding mine...when are you getting your females?

Niels D

Reaction score
Probably next month, but I'm not going to put them together next year. I've been given the advice to start breeding attempts after the females are 8 years old and the females I will be getting haven't reached that age yet. My males are from 2009 and it's been said to me that they are ready to mate, but that it doesn't hurt to wait with them as well. Though others don't find this to be necesarry I'm planning to follow the advice I've been given. I want my animals to reach the full potention regarding to their size, so I will pamper them separately without them getting through the exhausting process of breeding for now.

garfield188

Reaction score
8 years old!?, is that a typo, or are you seroius?
I already had a hard time waiting for my marmoratus to reach adulthood. (they're almost 2 years now) :D

Niels D

Reaction score
Missed the last reaction. No typo at all. Eight years old is recommended, expecially females. I've aquired 3 juvies, also from 2009. I think 2 of them are females, but I'm affraid that 1 of them is a male. It's to early to say, because they are aquatic for a short period. I also have a female from 2007 now. That could result in a 5.3 group, but I'm still hoping for 4.4. Pics will follow soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1