Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
Giant, barking salamanders found in Newcastle

02:39 PM PDT on Thursday, October 2, 2008

By KING5.com Staff

City of Newcastle

A crew from Newcastle's public works department recently discovered two Pacific Giant Salamanders.

NEWCASTLE, Wash. – The city of Newcastle says it is taking steps to protect the Pacific Giant Salamander after two of the creatures were discovered in town.

A city spokesperson says a crew from the public works department discovered the salamanders, which are elusive and usually only come out at night. The salamanders make a barking sound when threatened.

During the month of October, the city says it will work with volunteers to install storm drain markers across Newcastle reading: "No Dumping, Drains to River." The storm drain markers will be emblazoned with salamander and salmon logos.

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_100208WAB_salamanders_KS.d42f23e4.html

Amazing! I wish all the stormdrains in the country could have the salamander shown to remind people not to dump. It would be great is this trend could catch on in other areas as well.

Just came across it and though I would share. Enjoy!

Pretty cool! On campus, we had a volunteer day where we labeled all our storm drains. I hope it helps.

I'm not so sure about the 'barking' part though. lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back