Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl on Rice

Slimy2

Reaction score
I want to try axolotl some day. I bet some chopped up axie put on pizza would taste good. Or some fried axie served with sushi. I love sushi!

I would also like to try snake meat. I have heard of restaurants in China that serve cooked snake meat.

-I seem to like a lot of foods other people find disgusting and they think I'm crazy because of that, but most have never tried the food they tell me is so nasty.

NecturusLindsay

Reaction score
I want to try axolotl some day. I bet some chopped up axolotl put on pizza would taste good. Or some fried axolotl served with sushi. I love sushi!

I would also like to try snake meat. I have heard of restaurants in China that serve cooked snake meat.

-I seem to like a lot of foods other people find disgusting and they think I'm crazy because of that, but most have never tried the food they tell me is so nasty.

I have had rattlesnake. Fried, it's somewhere between chicken and overcooked fish. Lots of bones and a little chewy, but not as chewy as gator. :lick: (These new smileys are too appropriate.)

Slimy2

Reaction score
I have had rattlesnake. Fried, it's somewhere between chicken and overcooked fish. Lots of bones and a little chewy, but not as chewy as gator. :lick: (These new smileys are too appropriate.)

That is cool, the chewiest food I ever eat is octopus(squid too) at sushi bars and it takes forever to chew, but tastes great.

benh

Reaction score
Enjoyed watching that video - how interesting! I love the Japanese name for them! "Wooper Looper" :D lol.

Not sure whether I'd try 'em myself, but glad to see that people on this forum aren't quick to condemn others for eating them. As long as they're treated humanely, I don't have a problem - man that dude had a tonne of Axies in the video!

Jake

Reaction score
Now I wonder who will be first to try the axolotl caviar?

I've intentionally eaten axolotl eggs in the past. They don't taste good...or like anything much at all. I wouldn't recommend anyone harvest axie eggs for consumption without fully cooking them because of the salmonella risk (I didn't get it, but the reader might). It's good luck to eat the first born;). I'd eat axolotl meat if it were served to me, it's probably not bad.

axolotlmilky

Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of eating of eating my little axie, but can see how different cultures view animals as food stuffs. I think what baffles me about eating wierd critters is how some of them are prepared as they dont like very apettising (sp). I wont ever eat things like crickets etc, due to horror movies having them crawl out of zombies etc lol, I just have wierd thoughts of them crawliung back up through my digestive tract yuck!

I dont think we can judge different cultures though, as although we may be horrified and disgusted by what they're eating, as was said in a previous post some cultures are horrified at what we eat.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
There is a restaurant here in Berlin where one can order a plateful of insects. I may be (in)famous for eating anything and everything, but even I cannot work up the nerve to eat bugs.

On the other hand, I would rather eat a rabbit than keep it as a pet, so I could kind of see that someone might wonder why we keep food as playthings. "How about a nice cuddly pet carrot?"

Jake, I can't believe you really ate an axolotl egg. You're my hero. Of weirdness, perhaps, but I tip my hat to you just the same, sir.

-Eva

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it, can't eat something that has a smile on it's face and is able to develope it's own personality. Like mine who is lazy but still very loveable.

Plus I hear alot of Japanese people were shocked too because it was a childhood pet for some people.

I understand in some cultures they eat dogs and cats and even raise as a pet prior to eating them. While it is definitely a cultural thing I would do anything to make sure that eating axolotls is illegal in where I live.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1