Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Itrakonazole for Treatment of Chytridiomycosis

Reaction score
According to this article about the Treatment of Chytridiomycosis:

Froglog 46-1

They have been successful using Itrakonazole for the treatment of the fungus.

As you can read
Further studies are needed to determine if this treatment is efficacious and safe to use in tadpoles and caudates.

So does anyone have any further information about the safety of this product in caudates?

What about the use for others fungical infections?

Thanks

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Itraconazole (Sporanox) has been quite safe in treating caudates in my experience. I have treated dozens of salamanders in the genera Aneides, Plethodon, Eurycea, Hemidactylium, Gyrinophilus, Desmognathus, Notophthalmus, and Bolitoglossa without any losses attributable to the medication. Itraconazole successfully cleared Bolitoglossa conanti of an active Bd infection which triggered caudal autotomy in two animals, sloughing skin, and was confirmed with histopathology. All surviving animals, including one which lost its tail, recovered and are thriving over one year later now. The standard course of treatment is a series of 5 minute baths, administered daily for 11 days, in itraconazole diluted in Amphibian Ringers Solution to a concentration of 100 mg/L.

I have also successfully used itraconazole at 1/10th this dilution (10 mg/L) diluted with carbon filtered tap water to moisten perlite for the incubation and hatching of terrestrial plethodontid eggs removed from the attending female. This medication seems to do a good job of limiting fungal infections in the eggs which would normally be controlled by cutaneous bacteria in the female.

Hope this information is helpful.
Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!