Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New weapon against Chytrid

DeCypher

Reaction score
Very good news. :D
Thanks for sharing, friend. Maybe this can shine a little light on this fungal issue.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
This was reported a number of months ago:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...ol-article-re-amphibian-decline-new-hope.html

I think it's more hype than anything else. Aquatic crustaceans will do little or nothing to help largely terrestrial amphibians. They can reduce the aquatic spore count and thus reduce the chances of a water-borne infection. They won't impact terrestrial sources and they won't help already-infected animals.

AngieD

Reaction score
It won't help those already suffering, but the idea is that the daphnia could devour the aquatic 'stage' of chytrid. Nobody is suggesting that it will eradicate it, but it could help to reduce the amount of the fungus making its way to amphibians.
I don't know all the ins and outs of the matter, I was merely pointing out the piece of news I had encountered

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!