Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What color variation is this?

Reaction score
Came across a couple of axolotls the other day with colors I hadn't seen before. They both appeared to have light blue bellies and speckles. I snapped a few pics of the one that wasn't hiding. I enhanced them a bit so the colors could be seen better.
I'm not really familiar with all the color variations of axolotls, but possibly a new type?

Attachments

• axie dorsal.jpg
    axie dorsal.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 649
  • Axietouvhup.jpg
    Axietouvhup.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 418
  • axie ventral.jpg
    axie ventral.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 629

sde

Reaction score
Hmm, I am not the best with axolotl variants but I would say it is some form of wild type? Maybe someone more experienced with this will chime in....

Cacique

Reaction score
I do not see a golden ring around the eye which makes me think it would be a melanoid. I believe wild type have a golden ring around the eye.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
They look melanoid, is it possible to inform the person housing them to please remove the dangerous subatrate?

rachel1

Reaction score
There is a thread here somewhere about a melanoid that had blue spots, which looked pretty similar to that animal to me, though perhaps the spots were larger. I suspect it is a problem with the pigment cells, like vitiligo in humans.

Reaction score
They look melanoid, is it possible to inform the person housing them to please remove the dangerous subatrate?

Of course! I mentioned the gravel before I'll have to check back with them to see if they have removed it.

Reaction score
There is a thread here somewhere about a melanoid that had blue spots, which looked pretty similar to that animal to me, though perhaps the spots were larger. I suspect it is a problem with the pigment cells, like vitiligo in humans.

Thanks rachel1! I'll have to go looking for it then. A melanoid with a type of vitiligo certainly seems the most plausible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1