My spotted Sals

luvmypitties

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some pictures of the tank I have set up for them and some pictures of them!

Tinaspictures743.jpg

Tinaspictures744.jpg

Tinaspictures685.jpg

What do you think for a first time Salamander owner?

Not too bad. Your substrate may be a little on the moist side.

How often do you see them? Do they burrow on their own much?

They dont burrow much on their own. I have dug out little holes for them since it said in the wild they use other animals' burrows. I dig a burrow for them and cover the top with a piece of wood or something to make it more secluded. I dont see them much unless I go looking for them to check on them. I do see them when I feed them. One of them comes out and is all over the food I bring them. I had just sprayed before I took the pictures thats why it looks so wet. I hadnt mixed it well yet. That one was out so I wanted to get him picture!

Very wet is a bad idea.

The soil is not as wet as it looks in the picture. it isnt mud. It is misted dirt. I hadn't mixed it around yet. It is not wet, not muddy, not a puddle. It is moist dirt!

You may find it a good mix to combine topsoil with coco fiber. The coco fiber itself doesn't hold moisture well, but when mixed with topsoil, it retains water well.

They look very nice :)

Hey, not bad. It looks good. Those sure are some cutes salamanders!:D

great looking sals, I envy you that one comes out for food...mine wont eat in front of me

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back