Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Past few days I have noticed tiny small dark brown spots on my Eatern Newt.

R

rachel

Hi I am
new.gif
!

This is my first time to own a Newt. I got one about 3 weeks ago. Over the past few days I have noticed tiny dark brown spots have appeared on her, mostly on her head. Anyone know what that is?

Also, I have only actually seen her eat once. I feed her brine shrimp. (she doesn't pay attention to crickets or worms, or the shrimp for that matter) I guess I expect her to gulp it down like she did the first time but maybe she was just really hungry. Lately, when I feed her she seems to ignore it but I'm thinking maybe she eats later when I'm not looking. It's hard to tell how much she's actually eaten when I clean her water. Aren't newts known for being "slow eaters"?

What is the perfect temp for the water (for an Eastern Newt)? It is always at 72-74 and I am thinking of letting ice drip in her tank to cool it off.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
wink.gif

J

jennifer

I'm confused - your photo and profile say Western newt (Taricha) but your post says Eastern. If it is a Taricha, it's common for dark spots to appear on them, I don't know why.

How often are you feeding her?

C

caterpillar

I thought it was an eastern newt but then I found out it was actually a western newt from all the photos I have seen. I guess the pet shop was wrong. Anyway, after trying crickets, red wigglers and brine shrimp I have now found out that she prefers bloodworms. Gave it to her last week and she gobbled it up! I feed her about twice a week.

J

jamie

I think i am having the same problem with my taricha granulosa, he seems to be changing from a dark brown to light brown, and I am worried and confused. He never seems to eat either, but doesn't get skinny. And from what I have noticed, when he eats, he seems to eat in private, or loses the food. I have been told newts are "pretty dumb" when it comes to food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1