Still not eating...horribly skinny

D

danielle

I posted a few days back about a juvenile newt that had an injured foot and wasn't eating. Since then his condition hasn't improved at all. The bottom portion of his leg (toes/ankle) is pretty much gone. You can now see bone. He's only eaten half of a wax worm, produced three large wastes, and shed his skin twice since purchase. I put peroxide on his leg once a day and let him sit in a Maracyn2 bath each night (for the last two nights). Obviously the wound is infected but my mother won't let me amputate and meds don't seem to be working. You can see just about every bone in his body and it's quite disturbing. Lately he's had more energy than before though...I'm not sure if that's a sign of improvement or soon to be death. All help is appreciated!

I had a newt that was that skinny. I got it from a crappy pet store. It took a long while before I saw any improvement in weight. Just keep feeding and it will eventually gain weight. As for the wound, you could put some neosporin on it, make sure it is the neosporin without the painkiller. Good luck.

(Message edited by nuggular on February 21, 2005)

I would also recommend putting him in a more land setup. Make the water lower, about an inch or 2. If you can stop the infection, it's leg will grow back. I wouldnt amputate though simply because the newt is deathly skinny and that might cause enough stress to kill the poor thing.

(Message edited by nuggular on February 21, 2005)

I tried putting neosporin on a couple times but the newt always curls his tail around by his leg so I have trouble getting to it and starts squirming. He still isn't interested in any food, even earthworms. Thanks though!

Hrm, well I just found him dead. I inspected his wound and it was far worse than I thought. I'll know for next time to take back the injured ones instead of trying to save it.

Sry to here about your loss. You should still try to save the injured ones you might get. You can give them a much better home than any petstore. I bet he was happier with you than with the petstore. At least you tried to help him, they would have just let it die.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back