Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Northern reds and Ambystomids in northern WV

aquick06

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how best to locate any Ambystomid or a northern red in northern WV let me know. More specifically, I am trying to locate these salamanders in Ohio county, WV; as they are undocumented in this county, but I just know they have to be here somewhere. Any advice, sightings in this county (preferebly with pictures), etc. would be fantastic.

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
We all like to share our field experiences, but not everyone knows where to observe a species in the wild. This is a good thing because not everyone is as ecologically minded as you. Individuals who collect rare species or who like to collect wild herpetiles for sale would love you to give details of where to find those species on a public forum. So please don't. In the US, even revealing the county can be enough because counties are small and google has satellite maps!

Do the animals a favour and generalise: use state names, province names, mountain range names, even country names. You'll help preserve the lives of those animals and you'll be able to return to the same place knowing they'll still be there.

If someone does contact you regarding where exactly you saw something, be wary. Try to find out about the person before you decide whether or not to reveal a location. If in doubt, ask a moderator for a second opinion on someone. They'll often know if the person is genuine or they'll know who to talk to in order to find out.

Thank you.

Please keep this in mind before giving away any locality information.

gbhil

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Dr. Thomas K. Pauley [/FONT]( pauley@marshall.edu ) at Marshall University will have the answers you seek. The man is a tome of WV herp knowledge and very personable. I'd drop him an email.

BTW - my notes show Ambystoma maculatumas appearing in every West Virginia county. My personal field herping leans more towards anurans, so I have no specific first hand knowledge, other than in the Eastern panhandle (Berkley, Jefferson, and Morgan county) there are more spotted and marbled salamanders than you can shake a stick at.

aquick06

Reaction score
Thank you, I haven't spoken with Dr. Pauley personally; but my boss at work is helping him with his northern panhandle herp survey, and I am helping my boss--therefore helping Dr. Pauley. I believe you are correct in regards to maculatum, although my boss tells me any Ambystoma would be a good find. I have personally caught a northern red salamander in Ohio county when I was a kid in the mid nineties; but of course that means little to science :). I feel confident we will find the caudates we are looking for, and I will personally contact Dr. Pauley in regards to favored habitat, etc. I hope to at least find one species before I get caught up in hellbender stuff this summer! Thanks a lot!

KevinS

Reaction score
Thank you, I haven't spoken with Dr. Pauley personally; but my boss at work is helping him with his northern panhandle herp survey, and I am helping my boss--therefore helping Dr. Pauley. I believe you are correct in regards to maculatum, although my boss tells me any Ambystoma would be a good find. I have personally caught a northern red salamander in Ohio county when I was a kid in the mid nineties; but of course that means little to science :). I feel confident we will find the caudates we are looking for, and I will personally contact Dr. Pauley in regards to favored habitat, etc. I hope to at least find one species before I get caught up in hellbender stuff this summer! Thanks a lot!

You're not working for Zac Loughman are you? I've been turning up P. ruber in decent numbers in eastern Kentucky lately-I assume you'd find them there where habitat is similar. I'd look for larvae and juveniles in slow moving portions of rocky streams without much sedimentation. I've found adults around the edges of the same habitat, but also in caves and under cover considerable distances from any apparent surface water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1