Which would be better for a beginner?

suptrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
We're expecting some fire belly toads next week end for our 55. I wanted to transform our 10 gal into a newt viv...

I like the fire belly newts (
Cynops orientalis), but i also like the marbled newts. (Triturus marmoratus)

Was curious what you guys had to say. Which would be easier for a first timer? Which are more hardy? and, when I do eventually set up my 10 gal... About how many of them would I be able to house comfortably? I was only going to put two of them. But I was just unsure if even thats too many. Any help?

You can keep 2 marbled newts in a 10-gallon, but it would be just barely big enough once they reach full size. Depending on how the tank is set up, you could keep 2 or maybe even 3 or 4 C. orientalis.

C. Orientalis as adults are quite easy. You may have them breed, however, and then it gets tricky. The adults are very low maintenance and I love their interesting coloration. They're happy eating a couple of times per week and are aquatic, but need a small place to get out of the water. As Jen said, 2-3 would be comfortable in a ten gallon.

Dana

looks like fire belly newts are for me :eek:

If you want to enter the realms of Cynops keeping, i strongly recommend you avoid pet-shop animals because they are WC and usually ill. Try to find some CB ones or wait for some to give away their stablished animals. that way you will avoid lots of problems and won´t support the WC trade.

WC? CB? not up to date with the terminology. And I've actually checked pet stores around here, and none of them carry any newts..

WC means wild caught, those newts are usually highly stressed from transport and poor housing. Most of them end up passing away no matter how hard you try to make their life better.

CB means captive bred, those newts are healthier and usually free of disease. We have many good breeders on this site that sell theirs.

Hope this helps.

WC? CB? not up to date with the terminology. And I've actually checked pet stores around here, and none of them carry any newts..

Sounds familiar to me. I am ordering from Jennewt (I Believe that was her screen name). Great prices and they are captive bred.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back