Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping Aneides lugubris

Aneides

Reaction score
Hello, I have just joined this forum. I keep Aneides lugubris and would like to know some tips. I also keep Batrachoseps attenuatus. Some tips for breeding would be great. I'm considering breeding as soon as I get a female. I want to know some of the requirements of this salamander. I have checked on this forum previously and found some good advice. I want to hear from some experts (russ)!

rust

Reaction score
Lugubris are pretty straight forward. I keep them on medium landscaping bark with an upside down clay pot bottom and a larger slab of bark for cover. I only moisten one side of the container and leave a drier side. Aneides are prone to rashed if they are kept on perpetually wet substrate. I keed them appriately sized crickets, dusting them on a week. Temps are best if kept below 70F, dropping into the 50s in the winter.

I'm currently taking a break working with them pending a move. I had some temp issues this last summer and farmed or sold most of my animals. I'm currently only keeping my albino male lug and his mate. Hopefully my next house will have a basement!

Aneides

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice!

Sincerely,
Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!