liam

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Liam Reid
Hi there,

Posted some photos here at the beginning of the year of my newts breeding, as well as the resulting eggs and larvae. Just thought I'd give a wee update in the form of a couple of photos taken earlier today, of 2 of my efts. Unfortunately the colours are a little bleached out in the pictures - the spots appear more orange in life, as opposed to yellow.

Anyway, here they are:

<center>
45335.jpg
</center>

<center>
45336.jpg
</center>

Liam.

Congrats on the efts, Liam, they look great. It looks like you've got a nice little set up for them as well.

Post Script: I have quite a few family members living in Glasgow, heh...

(Message edited by markreid on October 16, 2005)

Those are cool pics! I keep Notos to though I received them as adults and havent attempted breeding them. Just one question,when will they develop there red coloration or have they past that stage?

Hi again,

Will try and take a few photos of their setup at some point. They're lovely little newts - a pleasure to watch.

As to the colour, I think that when they were a bit younger I didn't give them enough daphnia (or other foods rich in carotenoids). As a result they failed to develop the stereotypical strong red pigment. They may develop this in time. Also, it may simply be that these animals don't take on the typical "Red Eft" colouration (due to their genetic makeup). Not entirely sure about that though. Their spots should become a deeper red colour as they mature, I reckon - with the right foods.

My adults bred and laid their first eggs within about 3 weeks of me receiving them, so I was thrown into the deep end a little bit! However, it's been a very rewarding and fascinating experience thus far.

Liam.

Notophthalmus efts vary a lot in color. Not all of them are bright red. This may be their natural color.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back