Tap water vs. Filtered Tap water vs. Bottled water

Socrates

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey just curious about people's stance/experience with this. What is better or safer to use with amphibians in regards to water. More specifically is it better to use tap water that has had the chlorine/chloramine etc removed with a dechlorinator/etc. or is tap water that is run through a filter such as a britta or other activated carbon filters water better/safe to use? Also people use bottled water a lot, but ironically a lot of bottled water companies get their water from municipal water supplies...so really there is no apprectiable difference between the two. Likewise, the plastics used to make bottle waters can leech other harmful chemicals into the water (many types of polythyrenes, polyetherens etc and all those fun carcinogenic possible toxic chemical compunds). So what's the verdict?

I theory, brita-filtered water should be ideal. No chlorine, no metals, etc. However, I've heard of a couple of 'incidents' involving problems with animals kept in filtered water, and this gives me pause. I think that if there is nothing particularly evil with your tap water, then that's the way to go. Filtering enough water for a large water change would be tedious as well.

I lost some Fire bellied toads using filtered water, as when i noticed something was wrong, and changed the water to rainwater, the deaths stopped inmmediately.
As Jen says, brita filter on paper is ideal, and i use it all the time in the home, but this incident changed my use for amphibian use.
As i was changing the water i could see the animals were appreciably less stressed, to that end i use rain water-which isnt really what the thread is about, but there you go:happy::happy::happy:

Ben

I tried "brita" water in the past with both axolotls and fish with disastrous results. In all honesty, properly aged an treated tap water should be fine. Here, we have issues with lead every time we get a heavy rain, so I use Arrowhead brand bottled water mainly because it comes in 5 gallon dispensers for cheap, and tests out safe.

More information on this topic can be found here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Spring_water.shtml

So even for you terrestrial species do you used aged/treated tap water? I have always used bottle water for my amphibians. Never tried aged/treated tap for terrestrial species.

I used bottled spring water for my chameleons and snakes. Currently, I do not have any terrestrial caudates (still in larval form), But I plan to use bottled spring water for them.

I think it pretty much depends on your location. For me local tap water treated to dechlorinate works great. For some places it doesn't. My guess is the safest route is r.o. water that is treated with minerals after it is run through the r.o. unit. I almost got one but didn't like the waste of the water and the extra work.

I tried "brita" water in the past with both axolotls and fish with disastrous results.http://www.caudata.org/forum/../cc/articles/Spring_water.shtml

That's kind-of scary, considering I use Brita-filtered water for drinking for myself and all my animals. Haven't used it for aquatics, though - I use dechlorified tap water there, and that has always been fine. For delicate animals like young tadpoles, I use water from my large fishtank that has just come through the filter - but otherwise it's right from the tap, with the dechlorifier added.

I'm also starting to collect rainwater this year, and have used it for partial water changes in the fish tank.

Any idea what it is about the Brita filter that makes water toxic to aquatic amphibians and fish?

That's what I'm a little curious about. Is it safe to use filtered water for terrestrial amphibian species? Like I said before I have always used bottled water, but we just got a filter for our tap water. Plus I want to be more environmentally friendly and I figured using filtered tap water would save on excess bottles having to be recycled and processed.

I think it pretty much depends on your location. For me local tap water treated to dechlorinate works great. For some places it doesn't. My guess is the safest route is r.o. water that is treated with minerals after it is run through the r.o. unit. I almost got one but didn't like the waste of the water and the extra work.

I'm sorry, what is a r.o. unit?

I would avoid RO water unless it is for drinking water for mammals or birds. Brita water is safe to drink, but it strips ions just like RO units do, so it can cause kidney issues in aquatic and semi aquatic pets.

With terrestrial amphibians and reptiles, it depends on the application- for a water dish, I use bottled spring water. In my vivaria that have aquatic sections, I use aged treated tap water in winter, and activated carbon filtered rainwater in warmer months.

I've also tested Brita water for pH and it is on the acidic side at 6. My tap water is normally at pH=8, for comparison.

Because of that I didn't use it for my aquatic animals because through nitrification the water will just get more and more acidic. Probably will kill a lot of them in no time at all.

I don't bother treating water for terrestrial animals unless they spend a lot of time in the water (such as my African Bullfrogs). Tiger salamanders just get straight tap water on their substrate.

In regard to the filtered water versus treated tap water, the only thing the filter should get you that the dechlorinator doesn't is removal of a portion of some organic compounds like atrazine and hormones, but the difference between the two treatments is slight.

In general, ultra-pure water will always have a slightly acidic pH. This is because carbon dioxide (CO2, which you and your pets exhale) is absorbed into water, forming carbonic acid. I would guess that this would cause some problems with r.o. water or filtered tap water.

I have also heard that water filters (depending on where you live) may not be able to filter out all of the contaminants in water because there is simply too much.

For my firebellies, I have been using distilled water, which i hear is not recommended. I tested the water pH and it was a little low (about 6-6.2 or so). Do you have any recommendations on ways to raise the pH or would that level be ideal for my newts? Would bottled water or filtered tap water solve this problem?:confused:

Anyone have experience with Zero Water filters? I’ve used one for years and I live at about 1500 elevation in blue ridge foothills. I am a spotted salamander dad and he/she has been misted with this and drinks and bathes in it too. I periodically request a water report and it’s way better than the average quality of water but pollution is everywhere and if it’s not cool to use this, then what is best bottled spring water? Thanks

Anyone have experience with Zero Water filters? I’ve used one for years and I live at about 1500 elevation in blue ridge foothills. I am a spotted salamander dad and he/she is four years old or so with no problems but if I need to switch to spring water which is best?

Hey just curious about people's stance/experience with this. What is better or safer to use with amphibians in regards to water. More specifically is it better to use tap water that has had the chlorine/chloramine etc removed with a dechlorinator/etc. or is tap water that is run through a filter such as a britta or other activated carbon filters water better/safe to use? Also people use bottled water a lot, but ironically a lot of bottled water companies get their water from municipal water supplies...so really there is no apprectiable difference between the two. Likewise, the plastics used to make bottle waters can leech other harmful chemicals into the water (many types of polythyrenes, polyetherens etc and all those fun carcinogenic possible toxic chemical compunds). So what's the verdict?
I use pH balanced Smart Water, when in and around cities, I know it is pricy but I find my salamanders are fine with it. When in the country side I collect natural rain water, let it sit overnight and test it with aquarium water testing strips to make sure there is no chlorine or other harmful chemicals beforehand. I have also mix a small(1/8 teaspoon) amount of Zoo Med's reptivite without D in a large bottle of water and added it to their enclosures(not directly on them) during the times they weren't eating or seemed sick both are happily hibernating now

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704061463731.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704061463731.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 55
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back