Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Moomin will not eat, and I can't find a logical reason to why. Please help me try to find a reason.

Crysta

Reaction score
One of my axolotls hasn't eaten for a few days, Moomin is starting to get quite skinny now and I'm starting to get desperate, not having found a possible cause.

The water perms are fine, the temp is stable and holding at 13C, she/he is also snapping at food, and is willing to eat - seemingly.

The problem seems to be that although moomin is willing to eat, and is otherwise seemingly healthy, she/he is not able to suck in at all, it takes a lot to be able to get food into her/his mouth, and then she/he can't manage to get it down their throat (no suckyness) and therefore hasn't eaten in around 4-5 days.

there's nothing either of the axolotls in that tank could have swallowed, the water quality is spot on. however I have noticed that there seems to be some sort of a 'flem' or similar hanging about moomin's mouth now and again, thick enough for sand to stick to - but I haven't heard of anything like that before.

anyway, any suggestions as to what may be the possible cause is appreciated, as it's getting close to having to force feed her/him and moomin is only around 6-7" and I'd like to avoid this as much as possible.

I do have a picture, i'll upload it if anyone thinks it may help.

tl;dr
Moomin can't eat, even though she/he can open her/his mouth wide enough and snaps at food.

thank you -

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if she has a mouth infection ? There is a name for it but it escapes me for the moment. I suspect this will require a vet visit.

Erzs

Reaction score
Oh no not Moomin =[

Was it Stomatitis(sp) or mouth rot or something Julia? I just did a quick search and came up with some threads about those. I don't know anything about them though so couldn't say if that's what it is, Crysta. Hmm, do you think sand could ever scratch and axies throat and maybe make it a little sore? I've never heard of it but just a thought.

Maybe that picture would be handy? Hope she picks up soon. =]

Reaction score
What does she normally eat? Some things like mealworms can cause issues over time.

If you have a picture of the phlem around her mouth, that'd probably be helpful. Perhaps a saltbath to see if that helps treat whatever it is. I'd also probably stick her in the fridge for now. It'll help slow down her metabolism so that she won't be starving so quickly and encourage anything inside her to be pooped out.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no not Moomin =[

Was it Stomatitis(sp) or mouth rot or something Julia? I just did a quick search and came up with some threads about those. I don't know anything about them though so couldn't say if that's what it is, Crysta. Hmm, do you think sand could ever scratch and axies throat and maybe make it a little sore? I've never heard of it but just a thought.

Maybe that picture would be handy? Hope she picks up soon. =]

That is what I was trying to remember, Stomatitis. :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried other types of food? Maybe something smaller like blood worms or wax worms would go down more easily. As for the phlegm/mucus, is there a way you can wipe it off with a soft cloth or a cotton bud?

Crysta

Reaction score
I can't beleive I left her diet out, all my axies are on a diet of earthworms only substituted by live bloodworms and waxworms, and to add there's nothing new in the tank at all.

the mucus/deposit around her/his mouth is completely colourless, I only noticed when there was some sand seemingly floating about her mouth. the sand is about the finest I could find, aquarium sand, It's rather smooth too IMO. I did pull the deposit off her with my plastic tweezers gently, it came off with great ease, and it felt just like phlegm.

Stomatitis is a good guess I think, but it doesn't seem typical with the clear deposits (which I haven't seen since). no axolotl savvy vets about that I know of if anyone does for the west midlands that would be great, although I will be calling some 'exotic' vets abit less local (most of the local vets had never heard of axolotls when I called around back before I got them) As for salt baths, i'm not sure it'd be the best course of action, because i'm not entirely sure what the problem (or even cause) is. The same really for moving to the fridge, without any definite cause or problem beleive this will just add stress to the equation (which by the way he/she hasn't shown any signs of, oddly enough I think i'd be stressed if I was starving)

I'm sorry, the outside glass is filthy.
crysta-albums-axolotls-picture14165-dsc-0003.jpg

although they look rather different these were taken at the same time, this latter one better shows the mouth.
crysta-albums-axolotls-picture14166-dsc-0004.jpg

Incase of stomatitis she/he is being immediately quarentined, her tank mate has none of the same behaviour however, and almost snatches the tweezers with his worms.

____

I have managed to find a supposedly axolotl savvy vet about an hour's drive away, however they are fully booked up, and evn though she did manage to get me an emergancy appointment for 17:20 I doubt i'll be able to make it.

Last edited:

Erzs

Reaction score
When Jager was ill I was recommended a vet who works at Manor Vets near Birmingham. I never got chance to visit her though so I'm not sure how good she is. =[

But out of all the vets I called she was the one they said was an exotic vet. If you know of that one and it's not any good please let me know. If not maybe they are worth giving a call?

BTW I searched 'Manor Vets Birmingham' on google and could only get a broken link, but that might just be my computer!

Oh and I asked my pet shop for their vet awhile ago and they gave me 'Taylor and Marshall' however they are based in Shropshire! But if you want the number so you can call and see if they can give you any information drop me a PM. =]

Crysta

Reaction score
manor vets do have an exotic vet, but she's got no experiance with axies - or at least didn't way back when I called, she may have now, taylor and marshall are the vets i'm going to (lol) they are really GREAT for reptiles, and other sorts of exotics so when she said that marshall had treated axolotls before I was quite relived. They're in shifnal, near telford.

btw i was reccomended taylor and marshall by west midlands safari park's reptile house keeper.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you seen any more of the mucus since you removed it ? Do you think you might be able to look inside her mouth ?

Erzs

Reaction score
OMG really?! It was about 4-6 months ago I was going to take Jager. Although it wasn't under happy circumstances, I'm glad I didn't now. =S I'm always worried about taking one of my axies to a vet in case they don't know anything about axolotls!

Please let me know how Taylor and Marshall are as after being rec'd them by my local pet shop, and now you say the Safari Park too, I'd love to know what they're like!

Hope Moomin is better soon!

Crysta

Reaction score
just got back in, they saw us even though we were late (thank you congestion) letting moomin settle after the long journey.

I managed to have a small look inside - because I was looking for blockages yesterday or the day before, couldn't find anything, and I haven't seen the mucus since.

I'm just off to set up the quarantine tank, and i'll update properly (this post) when i'm done

____

on arriving I was about 40 min late, STUPID MOTORWAY took me about two hours to get there (one hour to get back without congestion)
they saw us anyway, when they could. He's an amphibian savvy guy. They asked the questions which you would expect (which I was grateful for)

His thoughts in the end were stomatitis after narrowing down the normal things, so I asked about amikacin and he said it may be worthwhile.

any ways long story very short, Moomin was weighed, as you'd expect, and has been given a course of antibiotics, and one dose of anti inflamatories.
HOPEFULLY there will be an improvement and I'll keep you guys updated on any changes.

I'd reccomend taylor and marshall vets for axolotl keepers, around here. but that's because there isn't anyone else anyway, and they were rather good! I think they're probably the best about for reptiles, and other kinds of exotics, they were very helpfull - particularly with still seeing us when we were late. And he new what he was talking about which is always a relief to see off this forum. it's a bit of a journey for me though - shifnal, shropshire. They were also very cheep I was expecting about £60 for a consultation and antibiotics, but it all came to about £47, so it was a bit lucky because there was only about £50 in the wallet. x)

I've set up her quarantine tank, and I'm planning on keeping it around 15-17 C - I've got to try to stop panicking x) that's two extra tanks set up now, one is holding the new axie XD.

Last edited:

Erzs

Reaction score
Great to hear! I was going to ask about the price but that sounds perfectly reasonable. Is there any particular vet to ask for?

I hope Moomin picks up again now she has her antibiotics!

Crysta

Reaction score
Chris Marshall is the guy with experience. I think Taylor is more of a common vets man, although he was seeing some tortoise at the time.

thanks for lending your fingers x) I'll post everyday - the course should take 6 days, but i'll update on any changes too. i'm still half expecting a worst case but only to not get my hopes up. I think i'll have a glass of wine tonight XD

Crysta

Reaction score
ok so moomin is alot more active, I noticed last night that she'd/he'd gone back to the usual inquisitive self, following me around the room with that "food" look on her/his face unfortunately while s/he's still snapping at food, it hasn't been any easier, and s/he still hasn't eaten. But there's a several more days of treatment to go yet.

siona

Reaction score
are you managing to feed him/her anything at all? I suppose as long as the water stays cool it should be fine. I'll be keeping an eye on this post!

Crysta

Reaction score
moomin's still not able to eat, nope nothing at all, I tried force feeding, only not really force feeding as moomin is still quite young, and also willing to eat I just had to try to open the mouth with a soft spatula and try to get mashed up worm+water down her/him with a syringe. it was un sucsessful, I don't think s/he has the ability to swallow anymore, or at least at the moment.

Finger's crossed still, s/he's a fighter. it's a mad house atm, my cat's just been spayed and is therefore all delicate and such, and my ferret is ill also lots of rushing around to the vets and lots of anti biotics all over the place.

the body width is now around half as big as the head, I may have to transfer to the fridge when the medication has stopped to slow the metabolism, or just bring the tank temp down. Right now i'd say survival is 50-50.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having a rough time at the moment. I am really hoping after the last of Moomins treatment you will see some improvement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1