Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Adding dechlorinator to the stream of tap water while changing water

Griffan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for the help. I bought a python syphon for my 55 gallon tank, will have axolotls in it once it is fully cycled. Just wanted to know if anybody here is adding dechlorinator WHILE doing a water change? And by that I mean, start putting in water from the tap with a hose, and as soon as it starts pouring, add dechlorinator to the stream. Is this ok to do? Or should you add it before?

Thanks

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That is how I usually do it. It is important that the hose is food safe. Some manufacturers use harsh chemicals when making garden hoses. Their was an incident at a local zoo where they lost a tank full of dart frogs and it was traced back to the use of a new garden hose. I use the white hoses that usually are labeled something like camper hose or potable water safe.

Griffan

Reaction score
That is how I usually do it. It is important that the hose is food safe. Some manufacturers use harsh chemicals when making garden hoses. Their was an incident at a local zoo where they lost a tank full of dart frogs and it was traced back to the use of a new garden hose. I use the white hoses that usually are labeled something like camper hose or potable water safe.

Thanks for the reply, I'm using a python syphon, it's specifically made for aquariums. So just to clarify, you turn on the water, then add dechlorinator to the stream? Doesn't seem to have adverse effects to the axolotls at all?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I just put the dechlorinator in the tank and add tap water for large axolotl tanks. For my small tanks I add dechlorinator to water in a bucket and dump it in right away.

ohaxies

Reaction score
I also use a python to drain and fill my axolotl aquarium. I start filling it up and immediately put in dechlorinater for about ten gallons. I usually stay next to it and watch and add it every five gallons or so. But, we also have a stupid amount of chlorine in the water so we have to watch carefully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!