Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New records of Salamandra salamandra in Latium (Central Italy)

mike

Reaction score
There is an interesting paper in the Herpetological Bulletin, Number 85, Autumn 2003.
Published by the British Herpetological Society, this article suggests clinal hybridisation between the two Italian subspecies in Latium, Salamandra s.salamandra from the Alps, pre-Alps and (probably) the Northern Apennines, while S.s.gigliolii is found in peninsula Italy, i.e. Calabria.

F

francesco

That's very interesting...
Sadly in latium S. salamandra is almost extinct exept for a couple of places
sad.gif

Where/how would I be able to find this article?
Cheers

mike

Reaction score
They have found three more sites along the Melfa River.
The Co-author, Claudio Angelini can be contacted via G. Marconi, 30-04018 Sezze (LT), Italy; E-mail: oppela@tin.it.
Failing that, if you e-mail your address, I will sent you a copy Francesco.

S

sergé

Hi Mike,

could you send me a copy as well? I have seen Salamandra's vfrom different parts of Italy, but if you read the original description of 'gigliolii' a very important character (besides the large yellow area's and the obvious different proportions) of this subspecies is the wine-red coloration of the throat regions.
Animals from for intstance Alpi Apuane have this, but have less yellow. Animals from the area north of Genua are totally different in shape and coloration. Perhaps different migrations took place along the west side and east side of the Apeninnes?

mike

Reaction score
Hi Serge,
My scan to e-mail software dosn't work.
If you e-mail your home address to me, I will send you a copy by "snail mail".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1