Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bullfrog Tadpoles?

HeartlessAngel

Reaction score
Hello there! My girlfriend works at a Petstore, and they accidentally received three fairly large tadpoles with a shipment of feeder fish. Now, they are unable to to sell these, so the Tadpoles would have more than likely been disposed of eventually, had my girlfriend not agreed to take them in. Now, the question I have is: are these Tadpoles Bullfrog Tadpoles? I can't say we have experience raising Tadpoles/frogs before, so I honestly can't tell. If anyone here would be able to help identify these Tadpoles for me, that would be amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_20151108_210433.jpg
    IMG_20151108_210433.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_20151108_210417.jpg
    IMG_20151108_210417.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_20151108_210410.jpg
    IMG_20151108_210410.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 636

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They look just like the bullfrog tadpoles the petstores used to sell here before it was stopped in the early 90's. I raised two females to adulthood, they're pretty easy to care for, just treat them like goldfish, decent quality flake food and good water quality. Mine used to like bloodworm as well.
They will need a big enclosure when they morph, my two had a 5' aquarium I think, but bigger would be better. They are very skittish and will leap if startled, in a smaller tank they would be constantly hitting the sides pretty hard.
Hope this helps.

HeartlessAngel

Reaction score
They look just like the bullfrog tadpoles the petstores used to sell here before it was stopped in the early 90's. I raised two females to adulthood, they're pretty easy to care for, just treat them like goldfish, decent quality flake food and good water quality. Mine used to like bloodworm as well.
They will need a big enclosure when they morph, my two had a 5' aquarium I think, but bigger would be better. They are very skittish and will leap if startled, in a smaller tank they would be constantly hitting the sides pretty hard.
Hope this helps.

Thank you, now that I know what exactly we are dealing with, I can take care of them better. Quick question though. Will Tadpole pellets be OK for them?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They mostly eat vegetable matter but will eat some carnivore stuff. Mine eat algae, reptomin, algae and plant flakes, and smashed snails. I have my juvenile bullfrogs setup in a 55 gallon viquarium.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 575
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!