Aneides lugubris in the Bay area.....

R

russ

Does anyone know a good area in the southeast Bay area to look for lugubris? I'll be out there soon and would like to poke around for a few.

Thanks
RUSS

Honestly I find them in yards most often which probably isn't an option.

I heard Oak woodland is good, but I mainly find Ensatinas and Batrachoseps when I look there.

That's been my problem. Most of the oak woodland I've look around in the bay area was loaded with Ensatina.

RUSS

Yeah, the only place I find a lot of Aneides are peoples yards. I heard the "Rose Garden" park in North Berkeley had a bunch of salamanders (Aneides and Batrachoseps mainly) although I don't know if your supposed to look there.=)

I recommend going to Tilden Park and looking for newts though if your in the area. Still don't know where I can find a good local population of California Tiger Salamanders yet.

Why isn't it wise? He's just looking for them right, not collecting. What I meant by "not supposed to" is that it's basically a flower place, not a park to look for animals.

Well my herp class took a trip there to look for salamanders, but it was late at night and I don't think people are supposed to be at parks late at night in general. There is no rule saying no looking under stuff for salamanders so it's legal. Someone might not like people looking suspicously under logs is what I meant though.

(Message edited by Brian on March 15, 2004)

That's the problem with the bay area. Most of the good spots are off limits because they are state or county parks.

RUSS

It can be an issue. I agree with general areas being given. The more rare (by range, habitat or perception) the animal, the more more general I'd be with info. Of course lugubris is limited by neither, except locally.

RUSS

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was taking offense or anything. I thought maybe that I broke a board rule about not naming locations or something, or that I had totally missed something I had not thought of. Sorry.

Tilden has a bunch of rangers and the newts are fairly high publicity. Now that I think of it your right. I probably shouldn't have name the other place. I keep my Red-legged Frog and other endangered species locations secret typically.

The good thing is California Fish and Game is pretty good about catching people selling stuff at least in physical stores. Never seen a native for sale except 1 kingsnake.

No, you didn't break any rules. Next time I'll make sure I mention that people can e-mail me if they want to be specific. And yes I am planning on collecting a few, that's why I was looking for a spot that is legal for collecting. But I'm collecting them to put together a breeding colony, not for commercial exploitation.

Speaking of newts, I was in the area a few years ago (Feb99?) and found several groups in the act of breeding and laying at a park. It was really cool to watch the whole process. Unfortunately I was leaning against some poison oak the whole time (3 hours) I was watching and found out the hard way that I may not be allergic to poison ivy but that I'm highly allergic to poison oak. And I've contracted it every time I've gone herping in CA since!

RUSS

Make sure you check with Fish and Game because I could have sworn seeing some provision that said animals taken with a fishing license couldn't leave the state. Although it was a somewhat old rule listing and may only apply to dead stuff/Muesum collections or something. Just check. I may have totally misinterpreted something. Sounds weird I know.

heh, I've never got poison oak. Anyway good luck. Bad news is the dry heat we got made all the animals I was seeing dissapear. Hope for more rain.

No, it's legal.

Dang, did it dry out that quick? Has it browned out over on the east side of the hills already?

Guess it's just muesum collections then.

No it's not brown yet, but I've noticed a real drop in stuff people have told me they were seeing as well. It feels/felt like the central valley for a couple days.

I live in the east bay and I find them occasionally in my yard under debris. I used to find many more in the yard including juveniles but not anymore. Recently, I walked out my back door on a rainy evening to find one climbing the door-jam. I have only found 2 of these in the wild and they were very well hidden in rotting logs.

I think they are quite common. Given good conditions they shouldn't be hard to find. They are climbers and seem to be associated with certain types of tree. Oaks were mentioned but I have only cedar and pine in my yard and they seem content.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back