Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

House flies

C

chris

hey,
would feeding my CFBN's house flies be ok for them, since they could have been in some sorta fecal matter before coming in the house.

Thanks
Chris

J

jennifer

Like any live food from outdoors, there is always some risk. Probably wouldn't hurt them. I used to feed my anoles with flies from outside sometimes. But I can't really figure why you'd want to use them. The CFBN probably couldn't catch them, you'd have to squish the flies and feed with a tweezers. There are easier foods to use (caught and/or bought) that won't have you worrying about fecal matter.

E

erik

I have used them(ones caught in the house) before, but it probably isn't the best idea. I have also bought the larvae(maggots) from Grubco and let them transform into flies. These are clean and can be fed without worry. My Desmognathus and Plethodon liked them and it was fun to watch them hunt them down. Not sure how easy they would be for Cynops to eat unless you hand feed them or kill them first.

M

mark

Recently maggots that have been missed by my newts have turned into flies and are extremely annoying in that they fall in the water, drown, die, and if not removed create fungus....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1