Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axies and my cycling shrimp tank

Florieke

Reaction score
I've got 2 axolotl's: Salter and Harris. I got them a bit skinny (1,5 weeks ago) and their gills were really small. The feeding was difficult in the beginning, but now they really love the earthworms and I can see that their gills are bigger than before. I cannot really see if they gained weight, but I keep making pictures, so I hope I can see some difference in a few weeks. I'm cycling a small tank now for some shrimps. They will be something to look at and an occasional treat for my axies!

3727013101_11f90ed1d7.jpg

Salter posing for me!

3727006379_db6f4185d7.jpg

Salter being shy

3727017983_d5290cc50b.jpg

Cycling shrimp tank

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Hello, lovely pictures. What type of shrimps are you going to get? I'll be interested to hear how long the shrimps last with the axolotls!

Greg31

Reaction score
I plan on getting a shrimp tank shortly as well. Either cherry or ghost shrimp eventually. Update us on how it goes!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have cherry shrimp in with my guppies..they reproduce in what seems like vast numbers. I tend to put a pile in with the axolotl approx once a week. They are like little rockets so some seem to evade being an easy snack.....its now looking like I have a small colony now taking up residence with the axolotl and their ( now 2) pet guppies.:eek:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Hi Julia, I would like to try to breed some shrimps as a snack for the axies, I don't have any room for more tanks in the house, do you think an outdoor balcony would be too cold for them? What do you feed them on when in their own tank?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well it would work having them on the balcony . I think they ideally need warm water to encourage breeding( 24 plus degrees). Mine are in with my guppies, I added lots of java moss initially to protect the guppy fry . The shrimp also like to eat it, they also eat the guppy food, lettuce, cucumber, banana...just about anything!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Thanks for that Julia, I know my other half wouldn't be too keen on adding another tank indoors, maybe I'll scrap the idea of shrimps for now.

Franklin Price

Reaction score
I've got a Gary the snail in my tank! He's in a little boat floating around the top, Devy loves swimming up to check him out!

Florieke

Reaction score
I saw that Gary had a mini-gary friend today, a snail visitor. He probably came with one of the new plants. I also found out that I got algae in my shrimp tank! There are green wires floating from some of the leaves :-(

The shrimps are still on their way, which is a big problem, because they've been travelling for about a week now! They will probably arrive tomorrow or saturday, but I'm afraid they're all dead! They were Crystal reds, thought they would look pretty. I found out that there's a fish shop at an hour (by bike) from my house and they have shrimp too, so maybe I'm getting some of their cherry shrimps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1