Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shrimp tank

Greg31

Reaction score
I have about 10 ghost shrimp in a tank with java moss and an air stone. The water stinks at the moment so obviously i am doing something wrong. I would rather not get a filter. What steps should i tank to make this tank better. It is a 2.5G tank and i want to breed the shrimp for my axololt. I was thinking about possibly removing the sand and doing a complete water change. Any advice?

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I would suggest using a 5-10 gallon tank instead of a 2.5 gallon. How often do you do water changes? With that little water the water quality is usually very unstable. Also I would at least use a sponge filter. Sponge filters are easily made. Here is the thread showing my home-maid sponge filter with some info. How much sand is in the tank(inches). If there are trapped air pockets in the sand it will grow unhealthy bacteria that will create toxic gasses in the trapped airpockets and may also contribute to smell. What are you using for food? Maybe you are feeding excess food that is decaying.

Nathan

Reaction score
AJ is right on. I suggest you put the adults in a larger bare-bottom tank. Shrimp will eat their own young, so you need to have a separate grow-out tank; your 2.5 gallon will work well for this. Watch the females closely; if the eggs (held under the abdomen) on a female start becoming olive drab in color and you can see tiny black specks inside the eggs, then it is time to separate her. Put her into the grow-out tank, and keep an eye on her until the eggs have hatched; then return her to the main tank. The young are filter feeders; very finely-ground fish flakes and green water are good foods.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I heard shrimp make great pets. I guess they make great food for others too.:rolleyes:

Have fun with your new project!;)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Generally speaking, with totally aquatic animals, more water volume is better when it comes to keeping the quality up. (There are exceptions to this...)

The down side is, the larger the tank, the harder it is to see your pets.

Finding the happy medium is the trick.

Personally, with very few exceptions ten US gallon tanks are the smallest I go. I do use 5 US gallon tanks for the hatching and early rearing of larvae, however, they get upsized quickly, usually in the first week.

Nathan

Reaction score
Well, there are two possibilities there: 1), your axolotl eats the shrimp, which is fine but means you won't have any young shrimp to raise; or 2) your axolotl chooses not to eat the shrimp, in which case there's no sense in raising shrimp to feed to him. That is, unless your axolotl is too small to eat adult shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1