Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Doing well!

chemgrl08

Reaction score
Hey all! I've had my axie babies since around February, and I'm happy to report they're doing really well! I fully expected at least one of them to bite the dust (probably from my first-time axie-owner ignorance, partly stress.) But they are all happy and healthy! 5 of them and they are all around 5 inches now! Melanoid, golden, golden gfp, albino, and what I believe is wild type (The greenish one- can anyone confirm this??) The suspected wild type is a lot smaller than the others, maybe an inch smaller, but he's still eating, looks healthy, etc. The only problem is a bit of white cloudy fungus on the melanoid's gills, so I promptly went out and bought some appropriate fungal medicine. (One of the good points of having them separated, only the one has it.) I'm also going to adjust the feeding amounts so as to prevent the problem again.
For now they are all in small containers in a mini fridge I bought specifically for them. This weekend, I plan to use that fridge to make a DIY aquarium chiller (I expect it will be a huge pain in the tooshie!) and then setup their tank so they don't have to live in those tiny containers and I can enjoy them a little more! I'm really very excited, and thanks to everyone for offering advice: this place is a great resource for axie care!
Also, as an aside, my boyfriend's mom loves these little guys. She took care of them for a few days while I was on vacation, and she hated them at first ("They're slimy and squirmy!") But now she thinks they're cute and asks about them all the time!

Attachments

• P6040017.jpg
    P6040017.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 276
  • P6040024.jpg
    P6040024.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 206
  • P6040019.jpg
    P6040019.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 197
  • P6040029.jpg
    P6040029.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 229
  • P6040027.jpg
    P6040027.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 196

Morrison

Reaction score
Yep, nobody can't resist the high amount of gilled 'n frilled cuteness :3
And the greenish one looks wildtype to me :)
And I'm in love with the golden one.

Healthy looking axies. Good job.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Left to right: GFP Leucistic, golden albino, melanoid, wildtype, leucistic.

They all look lovely!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1