Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axolotl please help

bgipson

Reaction score
Default Sick Axolotl! Please Help!!
Hi! I've has my axolotl Geery for about 6 months now. I got her in great condition and has been very healthy and happy. about a month ago, i noticed some changes. she started to seem less active, didn't always eat, and i also noticed some extra algae started to grow. i know their very water sensitive, so i moved her into another tank and did a complete remodel of my tank. i changed the filter and everything so i knew that what every was in the tank was gone. Her tank always is around 59-62 fer, she has an 18-20 gallon tank (not exactly sure), the filter works great and its very clean. With feeding honestly i have missed some nights and its been more like every other night, but it has been getting more frequently. But i feed her night crawlers. (i cut it in to fourths because there to big if i give her a hole one). She has plants and a tube to hide in, then again she can't reach the bottom. I do not have a water tester for the hp levels and such, but I've done nothing different and since i got her she's had no problem with that but if you think i should get one i can. About a couple weeks ago, after i changed the tank and everything, she seemed better, yet since the start of this she has been floating, as they normally do, but for her its like she has no other option. However, during this her gills were VERY small, and her tail seemed EXTREMELY dehydrated and weak. Now, a couple weeks later, she eats very well, and her body is started to grow back. She seems to be doing much better, however, her tail is the worst. She is still floating, now sometimes upside down or on her side and it seems like she can't get herself eback upright so she has no choice. She cannot swim, seems to be mostly because of her tail, which is som times curved and I know that's a sign of stress. She does not seem to be able to control her tail or if she floats at all. She does not seem to be showing any other signs of stress though. When she tries to swim, she paddles very fast with her arms but she just flops around because it seems like with her body she has no "composure" or control. I feel hopeless at this point. Please help, she's very loved and very young! It would help SO much if you could respond. Thank You!

Braydon

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you can get some pictures it will help a lot with assessing her.
You absolutely want to get a test kit. The API master kit is really popular and has everything you need. Until you get one you can take a water sample to your local fish store for them to test. Once you do have one you want to test the water about once a week to make sure it is still cycled. It'll also help you decide how big/little of a water change to do.
After you remodeled the tank it is possible the cycle crashed, it may have even crashed before you did this also since that is when you started noticing issues. This would explain the gill issues, and potentially tail (will wait for photos though to tell).
The floating is commonly a symptom of digestion issues. What substrate do you have? Is the axolotl pooping regularly from what you can tell? Is she still happily eating?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1