Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Language buffs: the suffix -lotl

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My educational background is words and writing and I was wondering what the suffix -lotl means (axolotl, chocolotl). I looked around the internet a little (not a lotl) ha ha ha
and it comes from the South American Nahuatl language. It is a suffix that is used to form nouns, definition "1.An abstract noun-forming suffix: -ness, -ity, -hood, -ship.". It varies in form, and appears in various forms, such as "-yotl", and
-chotl
-çotl
-lotl
-otl
-zotl

This is the sort of thing that fascinates me.
Ask Poor Jennewt and Jacquie. I made them listen to a few CDs on the History of Language when we were driving around Oregon together.

-yotl - Wiktionary Nahuatl
Classical Nahuatl grammar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

esn

Reaction score
Axolotls are supposedly named after the Nahuatl God Xolotl, who could deceive by changing into an axolotl. Supposed to be a God of destruction, by most interpretations. Looking at the plants in my tanks, I can see why they'd make the connection.

FX1C

Reaction score
Supposed to be a God of destruction, by most interpretations. Looking at the plants in my tanks, I can see why they'd make the connection.

Hmmmmm that explains soooo much :p

Many of my plants are now floating bare rooted lol - I guess the axie likes a clear path with a shady disposition lol :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1